Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say a HUGE congrats to Bill Gustavson for winning the IBO Spring Nationals in WV this past Weekend!!!!

I shot with Bill at the IBO Worlds last year and really was impressed with his courage under fire attitude of shooting the bow...very calm,collective.

Congrats again Bill...great shooting.

Dewayne Martin

Reactions: SteveD

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks, guys. I have been working hard trying to get better after the lesson I got from Dewayne last year at World. After World, I decided that if I wanted to get better and shoot like the great shooters, I needed to learn a better shot sequence. So, in September I went to Decatur and spent 2 days with Rod Jenkins learning a consistent shot sequence. Words can't express how much I learned from Rod or how much I appreciate it. I still need lots of practice to get to the next level. But, I got the tools from Rod to take that next step.

As Rod mentioned, my wife, Marty Lambert, is developing very quickly from Rod's coaching. She put down her compound bow after World because it sounded like those darn trad women were having so much fun. I taught her what I had learned from Rod in September, then she spent a weekend with Rod at 3 Rivers in February learning from the master. She placed second at the Winter Nationals and second at the Spring Nationals. Thank you, Rod.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Goes to show that there really are faster and slower ways to get good at shooting Trad equipment. Proper coaching and mindset go a lot further then just being told to burn the hole harder.

Big congrats to Bill. Now spill the beans:
What bow and arrows? What POD?

Enquiring minds and all :)

Reactions: J. Wesbrock

·
Registered
411 Posts
Grantmac, I shoot a Trad Tech Pinnacle II riser and Trad Tech wood/carbon limbs. 32 lbs at 64." I started shooting 32 lbs after working with Rod because it was so easy to pull and hold form as I learned proper expansion until completion of the shot. I use a high anchor. I am left eye dominant. So, after I get to anchor, I close my left eye. My right eye is then looking right down the arrow and I put the point on my target. I then open my left eye and then concentrate on where I want to hit. I found that when I close my left eye, the point is right on my target anywhere out to approx. 22-23 yards with my 32 pound bow. Farther than that, I just have to put the point a little higher. I use Gold Tip 600 Ultralight, full length, with 125gr. points. Sorry, I don't know what POD means. Guess I'm just too much of a newbie.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Fantastic achievement in such a short time, way to go.

Rasyad

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill, congrats to you and your wife again....I wish I would have went to Rod when I first started...it would have saved me thousands!!!

Dewayne

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
POD=Point-on Distance which is where the arrow point is touching the point of impact. That seems to be 23-24yds for you. Sounds like you've got a great set-up for the shooting you do.

-Grant

·
Registered
411 Posts
UrbanDeerSlayer, This year the IBO created a new class, STRAD, for persons over 60 shooting Trad. It is a max of approx 27 yards, which is plenty hard to shoot an "11" at my skill level. Just trying to get better. Next year maybe I can shoot with the "big boys" from the man's stake.

Listen to Rod and follow his system. No matter what your skill level, if you follow his system, you will see remarkable improvement. After having only shot 1 year, I had problems getting my finger off the string. I didn't have a system. If you follow Rod's
system and do the work it takes to ingrain it into your shooting routine, the bow just goes off. All you will have to think about is focusing on where you want to hit. Which ain't all that easy, pal. But, you will be amazed at your progress if you follow his shot sequence.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bill, you deserve the recognition...you've come a long way in a short time...thanks to a good coach but you are the one who did the work!!

Dewayne

·
Registered
411 Posts
Rick, Marty and I practice virtually every day unless the weather is really bad. During winter, we shot indoor leagues 5 days a week. With nicer weather, we shoot a paper target that I made on Word with two 1 and 1/2 inch dots. We start usually at 10 yards or so and just work on form and technique shooting at one of the dots. Then we move back to 15 yards, 20 then 25 yards. We shoot about 10-15 arrows at each distance. Then, since we live in the woods, we have 5 animal targets out. We then just walk to different unknown distances and shoot 3 or 4 rounds at each animal. It just started the last month or so, but there are local 3D shoots either Saturday, Sunday or both and we go to those. If we go to a 3D shoot, we usually don't practice that day unless we shoot like "Ray Charles." Then we might come home and do some form and technique work on the bag. We also take days off when it seems right, or instead just go out and shoot 10 or 15 arrows up close working on form so we don't get burned out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts