Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anybody else has done this or something similar

Today during practice I deliberately shot on the wrong crawls i.e at 25yards distance I shot on 20yard and 30yard crawls, what I found was about 4" high/low from the correct crawl distance (WA3D max is 33 yards), this equates to me consistently being within 1" the 10 ring if I make a strong form shots and the chances are a fair percentage of those will be 10's, I know my distances estimation is a lot better than that and I'm normally no more than 1 or 2 yards out.

So what does this mean, well I can feel confident in focusing more on making strong shots than worrying about the exact distance, and knowing that if I out by less than 3 yards I'm still likely to nail the 10 ring.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Interesting, thanks. I plan on doing something similiar. Testing the up and downhill variances. Trying to figure what it is that gets me. Am I out of form changing my point on... Or is it partly drawing to a differet anchor. I plan to shoot through my Chrono, level, up and down to see if speeds are the same. Uphill I hit high right, dowhill is more random.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Good post. I think once you have estimated your distance, you need to commit to it and execute the shot. To me, its 99% shot execution, if I dont execute it correctly I may miss the scoring rings altogether, but if I misjudge my gap slightly I still may nip the 10 ring, or definitely score an 8. The whole aiming thing can get in my head, I've shot my best scores when I am relaxed and just executing good form.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you need to commit to it and execute the shot. To me, its 99% shot execution
You nailed it, it's about eliminating all those little doubts that creep into your head, so you are free to commit and make strong shots.

1gr8bldr I did this last week in Finland they had a lot of 25 to 60 yard shots up to 35 degree angles and I had some fun with a cut chart and rangefinder, got lots of feedback on what the arrow is doing at these angles, it was a great confidence boost for me as Estonia is flat and not much chance to figure these things out. (highest hill in south Estonia is 300m above sea level)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love these types of posts. Really gets me to thinking.

I don't really consider myself a gap shooter, but am aware of my gaps and have found that I shoot better if instead of focusing so much on intentionally setting a gap I set the gap kind of subconciously and then bear down and focus on the spot i want to hit to fine tune my aim, and when it 'feels right' I release. I think this lets me focus more on shot execution and I get a better shot, and it helps me to eliminate those little doubts and distractions that you mentioned.

At ranges past 30 yards, where I have trouble seeing a small spot, I do more of a conventional gap shooting style, but still follow the method I described to some degree with the 'feel factor' telling me when to release.

I don't know if I explained myself well on this but its the best way I know how to explain how I shoot best.

I need to play with this string walking thing some more. I can really see the benefits and I'm all about being the best archer I can be.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't think my crawls are quite that compact Steve, but shooting WA3D is definitely a lot more about confidence and a strong shot at least around here.

One thing I will do is crawl for the longest distance I think the target might be, then hold on the bottom of the 10ring. Generally that will give me the most forgiving shot. Miscrawling under is much less forgiving.

-Grant

Reactions: ArrowCrazy

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
One of the reasons I think stringwalking is easier than gapping is the clear separation between range estimation and aiming. With stringwalking one makes a decision and sets the crawl and that is it, one is committed. Forget how far the target is, just focus on the shot.

For me at least, with gapping I get a vague feeling for the unknown distance that keeps at me as I aim and all the way through the shot. Not so much with pick a point but with split vision where the left eye (rh shooter) is focused on the target and the point is blurry above or below then that feeling for the distance is part of the shot all the way through.

Rasyad

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I did this with my daughter last night. She has a 22 yard point on and I had her do a walk back 10-15-20 yards (90% of your white stake IBO shots). I had her just aim point on for that distance range and they all basically grouped together - gave her a huge confidence boost.

Matt

·
Registered
167 Posts
I always shoot my 20 yard crawl at 15-25, and others the same way shorter and longer to see how much I am off if my distance estimation. I agree it lets me worry less and concentrate on my shot knowing if I am off abit I will still score.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't think my crawls are quite that compact Steve, but shooting WA3D is definitely a lot more about confidence and a strong shot at least around here.

One thing I will do is crawl for the longest distance I think the target might be, then hold on the bottom of the 10ring. Generally that will give me the most forgiving shot. Miscrawling under is much less forgiving.

-Grant
That is a good idea for those unknown nearing the max distance. Good one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.