Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a few limbs that have had Allen camo tape on them. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean off the residue of the old glue that is stuck to the limbs?
I'm not sure which solvents are safe to use on the carbon and don't want to wreck my limbs:sbrug:
Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have had good luck with stuff called Goo Gone. You can find it at Wally World and probably lot's of other places. Does great removing Barge cement residue when changing rests. Got a citrusy smell but it will fade.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sounds like what I use, mine's made by Duck. It'll even take contact cement off with no damage to the limb finish.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Murphy's Oil Soap.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've used Goo-Gone on the riser of my Wesley after removing the leather wrap it did a good job removing the glue that held the leather wrap on.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
In a pinch WD 40 will work than wash the limb off with light soap and water

A rub down with pledge finishes up

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Plain ol' rubbing alcohol..it dissolves tree sap in seconds from my truck paint and I also use it to remove tape residue and other similar adhesives

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys, I have most of these products in my workshop so I will do a few trials.
Cheers

·
The Mad Scientist
1,492 Posts
Goo gone and denatured alcohol has not harmed any finish I've used it on. The alcohol will work OK but goo gone is great stuff for sticky residue. Use the alcohol to take off what's left after that.

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
For tape residue I like vegetable oil. Won't dissolve anything you want to keep. I worry that solvents might. - lbg

Reactions: Thin Man

·
Registered
106 Posts
When goo gets me down, I default to denatured alcohol.

If Mr. Alcohol fails, I then invite Mr. Turpentine to step in.

Between these two, I usually can remove most gooey things. But I am taking notes for future reference on the other solvents being mentioned on this thread. I try to avoid uber-nasty and chemically-evil smelling solvents, and therefore have always used the alcohol and turpentine because I always have them on hand and they smell okay to my nose (the turp is intense, yet soothing in its own way).

Edit ... Longbowguy, I just saw your vegetable oil post after I sent mine. I never thought of that. I'll give it a try next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts