Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

This may be bordering into off-topic territory so please by all means delete / let me know if I am off the mark here.

Clay Hayes just announced via YouTube that he participated in season 8 of the survival show Alone. Being the real deal outdoorsman that he is, and with his traditional archery skills, I'm going to be following this with great interest!

Thought I'd share.

June 3, History Channel and anywhere else that you can find it.

David

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
THANKS I look forward to another ALONE season.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice! I've never seen the show, but I love watching Clay on YouTube, so I'll have to check it out. I see some pictures for the season online. Is that him in the bottom left?

·
Registered
56 Posts
This has to be one of my favorite shows on TV; thanks for posting this!
I wish him well; he'll have some tough times ahead for sure.
I give all participants in this series MUCH respect. I would love to try it, but then again...

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Definitely one of my favorite shows, always watch it unless I'm deployed then I avoid spoilers if possible.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I think some of it is staged.A large group tries out for the show and then they choose who they feel have the skills to survive.I have seen shows where someone will get a cut that a bandaid would fix and they tap out.The worse is where someone is there for a week and miss there family and call to be picked up.If you want to win that money you had better be prepared to no what to eat and how to obtain it.
I enjoy the show .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey folks,

This may be bordering into off-topic territory so please by all means delete / let me know if I am off the mark here.

Clay Hayes just announced via YouTube that he participated in season 8 of the survival show Alone. Being the real deal outdoorsman that he is, and with his traditional archery skills, I'm going to be following this with great interest!

Thought I'd share.

June 3, History Channel and anywhere else that you can find it.

David
This is awsome. I already loved watching this show. Naked and afraid turned into a reality tv show and has nothing on Alone. Finding this out made my day!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good news , good show!! Very little is staged after the beginning stuff but some of the contestants can be pathetically annoying trying to come up with footage that will be televised. Roland from last year was the real deal. I'd like to see an archer do well since Fowler managed to win it one year and turned it into a thriving outdoor/shooting related business.(y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I generally avoid TV and particularly shows like this. However, as someone who has followed clay and learned from his teaching, I’ll definitely be tuning in.

Doesn’t this seem like a risky move for Clay and his business? He certainly could benefit from expanding his audience, but these kinds of shows love to create hero’s and villains - sometimes by simply portraying narrow perspectives on a character.

·
Registered
55 Posts
He certainly could benefit from expanding his audience, but these kinds of shows love to create hero’s and villains - sometimes by simply portraying narrow perspectives on a character.
I remember a YT video from a guy who took part in such a show (can't remember his name, nor that of the show...).
Anyway, he mentioned this show was scripted and staged to a large part.
Selling drama to get people watching, to sell more ads in between.

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
I watch the show for entertainment value. it's a ton better than a lot of junk on the TV. a lot of the SENSE / the feel / of the intent of the contest is / could be realistic.
I can get a feeling of being there.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I remember a YT video from a guy who took part in such a show (can't remember his name, nor that of the show...).
Anyway, he mentioned this show was scripted and staged to a large part.
Selling drama to get people watching, to sell more ads in between.
Sounds like someone who lost.

Most of the competitors are very well respected within the survivalist community regardless of whether they win, sometimes there is just bad luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a hard time believing Jordan killing a wolverine with an axe was scripted! What was amazing is that he had the presence of mind to make a video of it that was watchable.;)

I'm sure the cuts and the blood and the bug bites have been scripted as well.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I look forward to watching, knowing that Clay is participating.

I don't know him outside of his YouTube channel, but he comes across as very genuine, down to earth, and a skilled outdoorsman.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing about Clay, he seems pretty wiry.

Considering that starvation is a very real part of the challenge, I hope he was able to put on a few pounds before kicking off his Alone adventure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts