Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Cinnamon Creek ranch yesterday to shoot some 3D rounds and buy BStinger. This is compound heaven. While I was trying to get a Bstinger from behind the counter (which took about 45 minutes, then another 30 minutes to get to the cash register) 3 salesman were busy with three different customers and $1200+ compounds before the accessories.

They had every possible thing a compounders could need. I ask if they had any bare bow traditional shooters. The salesman asked another the question. He said yes I have seen one or two. They shoot some high end Olympic risers but he could not remember the name of the risers.

These guys are sale $2000+ compounds, they are certified techs, and Olympic equipment is not seen often enough they can remember the name.

The shooting lanes were full, compounds, trainings lanes were full compounds, not a bare bow rig on any of the range save mine. I was only shooter out of 100+ on the field targets and the only shooter with traditional equipment except for rent a bows.

Mostly no surprise. It was interesting that the Stolid Bull and Hex 6s would get a glance look then they would look at me......:) like what in the world is that old geezer dragging that dinosaur round for. I guess he can't afford a good bow :). On the range some one with a high end compound and been shooting for 6 weeks would shoot 11 to my 8's. After about 5 targets one of the shooters asked if I would like to try his compound? ask me how long I been shooting??? LOL

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Not sure what to say bud.....Yeah you can get real good real fast with all the gadgets for sure..but they can have them...repectfully of course ;)

Jer

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
SAD, it is

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes but it is an insight to archery in the large. It gives you some idea that traditional archery is just a hobby for the big manufactures.

To find bare bow shooters you have to go to club ranges. Be careful of the view that gives you. You can find a few there. You think ah ever thing is ok. Hmmm maybe not. We (archers interested in such things) might think of taking care of our niche bowyer.

Wonder if all the single string metal risers sold yearly is a 1/10 total moneys spent on compounds?

·
Registered
607 Posts
At Baltimore Bowmen we are starting to see a trend going the other way. It used to be a handful of trad shooters mixed in with the 50+ compounders and now the range is full of trad shooters with a few compounds mixed in. That is until the hunting season gets close, then all the wheel bows come back out.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Rusty,

Great observations. I am fortunate that the two closest shops to me do a good job supporting JOAD recurve as well as the much larger compound community. Both have indoor ranges and with lessons and coaching starting with light weight recurves at close distances.

Rasyad

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Mammoth Hunter
741 Posts
I went to cinnamon creek once when I was visiting a friend in Fort Worth. Good to see the service is still slow as molasses.

Here in small town Wisconsin, we have an archery range that's been in operation for 45 years in a little upstairs loft of an old drug store. It's got enough space for 12 lanes at 20 yards, and then the shop itself. They have bows there that have been hanging on the racks since the early 70s (and some of their items still seem to be in early 70s packaging). But they still make most of their money off modern compounds and accoutrements. Great people though. Totally family run, and the daughter of the old man and woman who run the shop is my coach these days. Really nice atmosphere if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to cinnamon creek once when I was visiting a friend in Fort Worth. Good to see the service is still slow as molasses.

Here in small town Wisconsin, we have an archery range that's been in operation for 45 years in a little upstairs loft of an old drug store. It's got enough space for 12 lanes at 20 yards, and then the shop itself. They have bows there that have been hanging on the racks since the early 70s (and some of their items still seem to be in early 70s packaging). But they still make most of their money off modern compounds and accoutrements. Great people though. Totally family run, and the daughter of the old man and woman who run the shop is my coach these days. Really nice atmosphere if you ask me.
I get coaching from an older bare bow compound shooter. He switched to compound years ago. the formula classic T form is not in my future. He is taking the time to figure out what I can do and adapt. Requiring some rehabilitation strength training.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts