Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the different ways to change point on? If I could figure how to get my "point on" to my average shot, I could shoot hi and low for the other shots.

I assume changing nock height does nothing?
longer or shorter arrow?
faster or slower arrow?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nock height does nothing
Longer arrow helps a little by visually reducing the gap
Faster arrow changes point on, and also flattens the trajectory so the gap differences are less at different distances. Lighter arrows would help for the same reason.

What helps the most? Change your anchor point. Try three fingers under. Getting the arrow closer to the eye will reduce the "point on" distance making it easier to gap shoot the different distances.

There are some great videos out there that explain the trajectory and theory of gap shooting, which is essentially what you're doing. Anything you do to narrow the gap or shorten your point on will help. Try the Masters of the Long Bow DVD series. I can't recommend any particular one of the set, each has information that will help.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Help me understand,
If I were stringwalking, does a faster arrow shorten the crawls? Yes, I assume
If I were SW, does a faster arrow lessen or further my point on?
If I were gapping, does a faster arrow lessen the gaps? Yes, Answered by Dave, thenks
If I were gapping, does a faster arrow lessen or further my point on?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Higher anchor, longer arrow can work. Longer arrow and slower bow can work. Nock point can help once you get there....

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Higher anchor, longer arrow can work. Longer arrow and slower bow can work. Nock point can help once you get there....
Is this to lessen yardage of point on or further yards of point on? Does not higer anchor and longer arrow go opposite directions in point on?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking a shorter arrow raises bow are, moving point of aim farther yardage
Longer arrow lowers bow arm, moving point of aim closer.
What does faster do?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Longer arrow = shortens point on, shorter arrow = lengthens point on. But you need to tune for that arrow.

Faster arrow will increase point on but squash up some gaps giving a little more leeway on distance estimation. Lots of ways of getting that.

Raise nock height = shortens point on, buts its mostly marginal until you get to extremes and not worth messing with, especially at risk of impairing good arrow flight.

Tiller can be used to affect point on marginally - again not really worth bothering with.

Changing anchor - likely biggest impact. Anchor high up nearer your eye line for a reduced point on. But this will affect form.

Head tilt - similar to anchor (you can do both) - this can affect your point on. If you tilt your head towards the string, say for example so the string contacts your eyebrow, you can reduce your point on. Again this would have ramifications for form. This is a marginal head tilt once at full anchor rather than a stick your neck out manouvre (some oly shooters do that searching for the kisser). It depends where and how you anchor but it is an option for some.

Sight Picture - you can work on perceiving your sight picture somewhat differently to how you currently do. Perhaps change the focus of what determines your point on. Could be arrow point, or shoulder of point, shaft just behind point, top of shaft, bottom of shaft behind point, etc.,

Different Point Ons - you can also make use of a set of different point ons to meet your needs. Could be point on with point of arrow. Point on with shoulder of arrow, point on with shelf, point on with arrow rest, point on using a split finger hold, etc., Even split the difference between say shaft and shelf.

But as you can string walk I wouldnt bother with a lot of that as its more for gapping. Gappers would often try and set their gap towards their average or middleish shot distance or to the 3rd quartile and simply hold over on the longer shots and maybe use the shelf for very long. But for SW I would say set the point on quite long (depending on the type of shooting you do) so for 90% of shots it is point on or crawl down the string.

But dont change too much too soon as your form will suffer. Make one small change at a time and see if it helps.

Good luck.

Dylan

·
Registered
614 Posts
I should add that canting a bow (more in longbow territory) will affect point on, it will also reduce your gaps somewhat.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I've just tried to change my anchor, shorter point on was one of the reasons. I've had to change back while I still had some nose left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dylan summed it up pretty good. I reduced my point on shooting split from 45 yards to 35 yards by adding 2" to my arrow. 35 yards in manageble but I miss the long point on on those long targets I like to shoot.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Dylan summed it up pretty good. I reduced my point on shooting split from 45 yards to 35 yards by adding 2" to my arrow. 35 yards in manageble but I miss the long point on on those long targets I like to shoot.
3 under with a faster arrow then learn to love how to hold over. I shoot 90m with a 50m POD pretty easily.

-Grant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts