Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had set of longbow limbs (long), On a 19 inch riser and then put the same lambs on a 17 inch riser if draw length stayed the same would you be effectively working the limb more?
I ask because I have a set of longs on my 19” riser and with my 26.5 “ draw I don’t feel like I am getting (working) the limb in it’s efficient range. So I wondered if I put them on a 17” if I would be in more of the working part of the limb?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Assuming these are ILF limbs and risers, and have standard limb pad angles in the riser pockets, the draw weight will increase approximately #2 on the shorter riser when drawn to the same length.

Does that flex the limbs more into the working area? Arguably. Will you see a slight increase in speed/energy transfer? Probably.

Can most people tell the difference that the increase is coming from 'limb efficiency' as opposed to a straight draw weight OTF increase? More than probably not.

If you want more speed and are ok giving up some stability, then switch to the 17" riser. If you don't own the riser yet, then I'd suggest just replacing the limbs with slightly stronger ones.

Cheers,
Elton

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The answer is yes and a 15" would be even better for your draw.

You will pick up about a # per inch when shortening also.

Mike

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Like Elmosarus said - but deflex also has to be accounted for when switching risers if you start trying to figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts