Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben posted this on AT. I thought it was thought-provoking. So I reposted here for some thoughts. :)

I guess I'm a dummy when setting up a recurve to shoot barebow. Setting up a bow to shoot Olympic style is far removed from setting up a bow to shoot barebow. I see many posting that they bareshaft tune for spine then change plunger tension to get the arrow to shoot down the middle for them.

Wrong!

Shooting barebow recurve usually entails shooting at or near center shot. It is at this position that your eye is more in line with the arrow and you are pushing directly behind the arrow. Also, the further out you set your plunger the more problem you will have trying to keep arrows going down the middle from 5 to 80 yards, without changing plunger tension at various distances. Barebow is a whole nother game when it comes to setting your bow up. I have been ripped for this viewpoint before but , bring your setup and let's have a contest..

Reactions: Jon Lewis

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I do find that my bow shoots best when very close to centershot, but then again I'm using limbs which seem to prefer that.
Not touching the plunger until I'm out at 50m or so. However I do find my string blur naturally migrates to the right as distance increases.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Is a bow really "bare" if it has a plunger? :D I set my bows up to shoot where I want, which ends up being centershot or very close to it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure I believe this. If by "barebow" he means without sights, arrow flight is exactly the same. The arrow doesn't really care how you aim, and your eye position has no bearing on arrow flight, only the perceived aiming point.

I shoot as close to a barebow that you can get using a longbow. Granted it has a tiny shelf but it's nowhere near centershot. Just enough to keep the arrow off my hand and allow me to use a nocking point accurately. Arrows are chosen based on how they flex and still stay on target, and the rest is all me.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Is a bow really "bare" if it has a plunger? :D I set my bows up to shoot where I want, which ends up being centershot or very close to it.
barebow is a style, not exactly a description, so yes. lol

I never can shoot a high anchor and have anything close to center shot when shooting skinny arrows. Indoors with 2312's I'm close to the edge of the string, but still far from centershot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I know Ben is a master at bow tuning and I respect anything he is willing to share....however my arrow always has to point left...on my IBO off the shelf rig it's probably 1/4" left not so much on my indoor rig with stab,rest and plunger.

Dewayne Martin

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I would prefer to have my setup closer to centershot but the only option I have is to cut the arrows and have no time to visit Falco and do it.

29" 550's with 100g points still bareshaft weak at 25y (41# OTF)about 4 turns in from center on the plunger, it shoots good but guess its the poor form shots that would be the issue.

On a good day walkback 15 to 60 yards I can keep most in the 5/4 ring on a 40cm face, I'm happy to take anybody on out to 80y as it is now.:p

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,700 Posts
I read that on AT. I learned with the FITA crowd and do not set up as Ben mentions. I am still able to keep everything on the center line at all distances without a plunger adjustment (unless I am changing my hook). Still, I have spent this year shooting longbow with the intent on learning how folks from the non FITA side do it. Going to the longbow allows me to toss out all the preconceived notions I have about how a bow is shot--things that are deeply ingrained in my recurve shooting. I have learned a lot that I am now incorporating into my barebow recurve shooting. You can't argue with Ben's results.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have fixed a lot of turning the plunger by playing with the spring. I actually shot one the other day where I was able to shoot all my crawls without spinning the plunger.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
I have fixed a lot of turning the plunger by playing with the spring. I actually shot one the other day where I was able to shoot all my crawls without spinning the plunger.

Do you mean putting a stiffer or softer spring in or adjusting the click John? I remember someone saying something about cutting a spring in half and then stretching the half out to give perfect tune over all distances. It might have been Martin or Torben maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Target bows are very tuneable. So it is possible to be off on one parameter and compensate with another. I think this may be a factor when centershot is tuned near center. That it needs compensation with plunger position or spring tension. Or with tab thickness.

Slomo videos show that upon release the string rolls off the fingers and moves to the left by the better part of an inch. So it seems to me that a considerable amount of offset of the arrow to the left of center would be the best match to that fact. This is the basis of the archer's paradox. Shooting center shot from the fingers seems the greater paradox to me. - lbg

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello All

Well for me be it any bow I shoot my arrow in with a Vertical piece of Black tape . For arrow rest movement horizontally. Left or right.

And horizontal piece black tape for my nocking point.

It all comes down with one's arrow location on the target and what works best the arrow will deter-mine's where it rest and the string height its attached to. [ Later

1 - 15 of 15 Posts