Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, sorry for the delay! I shot about a dozen arrows out of a completely improperly tuned Centaur/Excel combo, this bow is 54ish pounds which is very heavy for me!!! I was shooting an axis that came out being 8gpp exactly (432gn) and it was SMOKING fast!!! I haven't done any tuning, and wont for a while, I have an in-between bow that will be getting a lot more attention before I continue trying to manhandle this heavy bow!!! I will for sure be able to get it VERY quiet, and think that it will shoot just fine at a BH of less than 7.5", I think I had it braced at 7" today and didn't feel noodley. I hope this helps anyone considering them.

Have a great day,
Kasey

Reactions: stevelong

·
Registered
607 Posts
KAKend what is the bow length and what length string are you using for it. Thanks. I have a set of limbs on order and Jim advised that I start at around 8 for the brace but that was a guess based on the riser.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
64" bow, medium limbs with 21" excel, I would have to measure string but 61" is what I would guess. I really want to keep the brace height as low as possible. I will play with it when I start tuning, but there is gonna have to be some mid 40's pound work for a while.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks, I will be putting longs on a 15in riser. Will let you know what works for that set up. I will also be shooting around 11gpp. same as my hunting rigs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Kasey, just curious why you want your brace as low as you can? If they are like my Dryad limbs I am getting better performance in the sweet spot of the limb and that is higher then they will shoot without the noodle feel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I talked to Jim last Friday for a while and plan on getting me a set of Mediums for my 15" Phoenix. I like a short bow and Jim said at my 26 and 3/4 draw it would perform great. Can't wait.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G-dawg,
Even with my recurves I have been shooting low brace height with bolts turned almost all the way in for quite a few years. You get a longer power stroke, and with longbows, they have been traditionally braced lower than recurves. I understand if the limb manufacture says run your longbow limbs at minimum 8", but why wouldn't you just get recurve limbs then? I want to maximize performance out of these limbs, and I hope that I can get an inch or more of that power stroke than if I were running 8" brace height.

I hope this answers the question.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
607 Posts
I see your point but with the ILF rigs I am not sure that a lower brace is always going to perform better. If it does then I just learned something. That is why I started the new post. I am trying to figure that out. Do some limbs need a certain pre-load built into the limb for a certain draw or do all limbs perform at there best with a lower brace. Thanks for the reply I am trying to get a handle on this.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I have my ILF longbows set up in a similar manner. I have limb bolts turned in pretty much all the way - I back them out 1/2 turn from snug to prevent binding. I find that having limb bolts in results in a quieter bow and allows me to use a lower brace height. I usually will run the lowest brace height I can get away with without the bow making harsh noises or limbs getting floppy.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Id say longbow limbs generally like a steeper angle, so bolts all the way in, minus 1/2 turn like J-san said makes sense. I had 1 set of longbow limbs and kept upping the brace height till the noodle affect went away. I think with some limbs there is a trade off between longer power stroke and enough pre-load at brace to want the limbs to "snap back" to brace height.

Reactions: G-Dawg
1 - 11 of 11 Posts