Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Compton's intending to sell some of my excess bows when I was not working. Instead another one followed me home. A friend came in with a really neat little short 'curve that zapped my gotta-have-it bone. It needs a little TLC but looks solid and it IS in my new reality as far as draw weights go. I'd love to know more about the maker

The name Carroll archery strikes a real small bell but other than associating it with, maybe, the real early compounds I know nothing about them. for some unknown reason I sort of seem to vaguely associate the name with Martin too---but that might be a flashing red herring.

Any formation or leads to it would be very appreciated

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
To quote George D. Stout:

'The article is self-explanatory and Jim was one of those guys who most never heard of unless they were in archery in the 60's and 70's. Like many Pro archers, Jim worked for several companies including Bear, which the article shows. Jim later worked for Carroll's Archery and had a takedown bow name after him..the Gentleman Jim Hunter. There are 6 pages to the article.'

This is a really excellent thread / article:

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?threadid=247625&category=88#3401722

Regards, James.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
The Carroll's were designed in UT. They were top of the line target and hunting bows late 60's early 70's. They had one of the earliest compounds too.

The metal risers have a grip to die for. One of my favorites. I think Martin made limbs for Carroll. They have an M in the model number. LArry would know best about that.

The limbs also fit the Wing Presentation II.

·
Premium Member
All
1,345 Posts
Hello All
If Irecall right. [ Smile ] those Carroll limbs, will fit a Wing Presentation ii riser.I have a set of Carroll limbs.[ Later

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be looking for another set of limbs that'll for it in the low 40 Weight range. One of mine has a slight twist that I am pretty sure is restorable and everything else looks really solid. Its been wall hanger in a lodge "up-nort'" for a couple decades at least I'm really looking forward to shooting it.

·
Premium Member
All
1,345 Posts
I'll be looking for another set of limbs that'll for it in the low 40 Weight range. One of mine has a slight twist that I am pretty sure is restorable and everything else looks really solid. Its been wall hanger in a lodge "up-nort'" for a couple decades at least I'm really looking forward to shooting it.
================

Hello All
Sent you a Pm. Later

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Larry, were there any significant differences in material or design between the Martin-made limbs and the PM or whatever they were that Wing made.
I'm familiar with Martin's limbs an enjoy them greatly

·
everything stickbow
105 Posts
I own one (no markings so I haven't been able to confirm the model), recently refinished the riser. It's in the 55-60 # range so it doesn't get much love. It has some amazing power, especially considering its age. Riser cut well past center, good grip, tapped for Berger button, has a small shelf radiused on the back side, Limbs have a wedge in both the butt and tip, well made.

Probably ahead of its time. My favorite 'old' bow by far.

Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.