Trad Talk Forums banner

Carbon Arrows-Block Target

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ButchD 
#1 ·
So many questions, so little time...
First, let me thank all of you who share your knowledge and experiences. To a novice like myself, it is invaluable.
Second, what size "Warn" winch do you recommend for removing carbon arrows from a "Block" target. The arrows are Beman venture 500's. They came with 100 g field points, and after a few attempts to remove them with my grandson Sean present, I changed to z- points in an attempt postpone his colorful language education until he's at least 10 or 11.The "z"'s have been great on my aluminum arrows so I figured I had the problem licked. No change in impaction. I'm shooting the arrows with a 38# Ben Pearson recurve, so it's not like I'm punching the carbons through the Block; maybe 4 or 5" of penetration. I've tried the push pull, the twist wiggle.. I'm getting them out, but is this normal? Thanks, Butch

#3 ·
Sure hope you didn't make the mistake I did with one. shot it form the side not long after I got the DAS, trying out a razorcap. didn;t stop to think that the side of the one I was shooting at had "stuff" under the heavy plastic cover :( . Like wood and steel banding tape. I found out that limbs I had on the DAS had plenty of power, the Axis were strong and the razorcaps were tough and sharp. they pretty well penetrated the wood and cut a heck of a notch in one of the banding tapes. Didn't hurt the head or shaft. But had a real job of work getting the head out, took a chisel and pliars.

I keep one of those rubber arrow pullers handy they do help but still I have left heads in various places after unscrewing the shaft. I also keep a finely sharpened old chisel in my stuff now usually I can slide it into the target alongside the shaft and just open it enough to break the friction clamping the shaft. A small fine knife blade might do the same on foam blocks without damaging the block. Several types of the carbonshafts, especially those that have a spiral outer wrap, are not as slippery as AL shafting or other carbons and the compressed foam really grips them.

good luck and think how well they'll work on game. at least you probably won't kink them pulling them out like you might an AL shaft

#6 ·
For what it's worth, I shoot Axis 400s into a block. I will turn the block on it's side so the compressed foam sheets are running vertically. The arrows can slide between the sheets or so it seems. Also, if they are sticking I'll rub a bit of soap from a bar onto the first 6 inches of each shaft. This also helps. Not sure if this will be useful. Good luck.
Scott

#10 ·
Tradarcher and Tom A have it!

Get you some plain old Ivory soap bars at WalMart, break one in half and rub it on the front end of the arrow. Makes child's play of pulling arrows. Cheap. Fits in your pocket. (grin)

Additionally, get some twine and tie the target off to a couple of wooden stakes. The field points will just push the twine aside and you'll have something to pull against without straining your milk.

#11 ·
I just picked up a new target from Rineheart its about 24" by 24" octagon ball shaped thing. Its granteed for 1 year not to shoot through and ofcourse the arrows pulls just like a rineheart. Its about 95.00, I know we all try to save money where we can but some time its just worth it and this target is just that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.