Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas on selection of carbon arrow for IBO

I shoot 40# @ 28" re-curve off of the shelf. I draw 26.5" (yeah I am not very tall, or have very long arms) for my 3D rig. I'm currently shooting Goldtip Traditionals 3555 @ 30" with 145 grain field points. Just a simple insert and nock and three 4" RH parabolic feathers.

This set-up is great for hunting and local 3D where the distances are 25 Yard maximums.

I know that there will be a lot suggestions. I emailed Lancaster Archery and 3 Rivers today and they came back with just one option each. When I used 3 Rivers Spline Calculator neither option was correct. I would really appreciate your help with this.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Does these arrows work? Sound like they are pretty well on the mark. If they are a bit stiff, you can always add the insert weights or just add set screws from the hardware store.
For comparison, I shoot 48#@29". I shoot a full length Kinetics .500 with 125 tip and Aftermath .400 with 125 tip. The Kinetics are a touch under spined, while the Aftemaths are a touch stiff. Bare shaft really shows the difference, but with fletching, I only get an occasional wiggle from the Kinetics.
With you bow you are probably getting 35#. I would say that if you wanted a bit more speed for 3D, try a .600 with a 100 or 125 tip.
For hunting I would stay with the heavier shafts you are using now.

Reactions: starrider

·
Registered
158 Posts
I shoot the same arrows same spine and arrows and Im shooting 42# with a 31 inch draw. They work great for me. Im shooting bullets. I think you have great arrows. Im not sure why youd want to change.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No argument about them being great arrows. I plan to continue shooting them during hunting season using my Zwickey's 135 grain broad heads.

I am looking for a lighter shooting arrow for my 3D set up. My draw is in the mid 35lbs and IBO distances these arrows are just a little too heavy.

Thanks for everyones advice.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Full length GT Velocity Hunter 600 with 100gr points should do the trick. Maybe go down to 85gr if they show weak, but I doubt it.

-Grant

Reactions: starrider

·
Registered
7 Posts
You might want to check into GoldTip ultralight silver 600 w/ standard inserts, Nocks and 4" feathers. To get that speed your looking for. You'll have to play with the length and front weight a little to get it to the lightest and straightest flight your looking for. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know the arrow dillentants may sneer, but I have a similar set up shooting 40# at 29". I use a full length Carbon Express Blue Streak 150 with 125g point. I have found these great for both target and 3D. They are really fast but carry a solid punch.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
As a note:

The Velocity Hunter is the same shaft as the Ultralight Entrada except it's $5 cheaper a dozen and they come with lightweight nocks.

-Grant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.