Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I anchor high close to my eye. My eye is over the nock. With my cant the string touches my chest between my nipple and armpit and the string touches my eyebrow two thirds towards my ear with the feather toughing the side of my nose.

I don't think there is any set amount you should cant. As long as your are aligned with the arrow and not shooting left or right your cant should be good for you. You have to be very consistant in your cant or else will shoot off left or right. I have been canting the bow as long as I have been shooting. Sometimes I wish I could break that habit and shoot with a vertical bow.

To maintain a consistent cant I do what I mentioned above. That is part of my anchor too.

Gil

·
Registered
359 Posts
Target archers shoot with the bow vertical. I try to, but the sight window blocks the spot on close shots with my Omega Imperial. I have started canting it just so the sight window is vertical on the close shots, but still shoot with the bow straight up on 40-80 yards shots.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Zero

Reactions: rsarns and DJL

·
Registered
342 Posts
I do not cant when I shoot my ILF recurve. I have a very heavy cant, almost 45 degrees, with my longbow. Canting a bow will not make you more accurate. However, if you're a hunter there are a lot of benefits to being able to shoot with a cant.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't cant. With my fairly high anchor, which puts the big knuckle of my pointer finger into the notch at the back of my cheek bone, if I canted, either I wouldn't have that bone on bone solid anchor, or I would induce torque on the string. So, no cant for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Canting helps me a great deal with hunting. Not too much at the range. Part of my process focuses on twisting my pulling wrist to match the degree of cant. If everything stays aligned, the shot is more dependable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies, I'm just figuring things out again, I shot a longbow pretty regularly a number of years ago but life got in the way so I stopped. I picking it back up again and as I recall I didn't cant much then and probably wont canty much now. I'm working through some anchor issues and was just curious if more cant would help me.

·
Super Moderator
2,863 Posts
Well, it might very well help you. Try and see. Cliff makes a good point.

Now for a more general discussion: longbows do not have a cut out sight window, or a small one so you need some cant to see around it, Simple recurves have a longer sight window so you many not have to. But the bow arm wrist is more comfortable with some cant so many who shoot hunting or general sport type recurves cant be cause they shoot more by feel than calculation.

Target style aiming involves more calculation so that kind of bow is usually held vertically.

Now, it is also a tuning issue. I have always shot a lot of bow and arrow combinations. If one hits to the left I cant to the right, and vice versa. I tend to cant not just the bow but the arm, my head, my neck, my spine. You cannot figure all of that out by calculation, but your subconscious can by feel. So feel for how to hit where you look. Feel it! - lbg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Nope. I would like to (I could then enjoy some 13" risers and also old English/Welsh D-style longbows) but on trying it, results are too inconsistent for my liking. I also use string blur for shot alignment check.

The only archers I've seen shoot very consistently at 20m+ distances with a cant have been older men that look like they've been doing it for decades. They somehow magically seem to get the angle the same each time.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I do not cant when I shoot my ILF recurve. I have a very heavy cant, almost 45 degrees, with my longbow. Canting a bow will not make you more accurate. However, if you're a hunter there are a lot of benefits to being able to shoot with a cant.
That's an interesting comment .... which leads me to ask, does the style of bow you shoot have an influence on the amount of cant, and does your archery discipline determin the cant?

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's an interesting comment .... which leads me to ask, does the style of bow you shoot have an influence on the amount of cant, and does your archery discipline determin the cant?
Not the style of bow. The style of aiming/shooting does though. I use a very long fixed crawl with the recurve. A 60 yd point on was too much for me to deal with on gaps. My LB is significantly slower with a point on of about 30. This allows me to have an index finger against the nock and I cant quite a bit with it. The grip is also similar to a HH style and I have found that I'm more consistent with a full grip on the bow vs wrist sling and forefinger/thumb grip on the recurve.

Edit: forgot to finish that thought. I've found that my wrist is essentially in the same position with either bow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It will change the way the arrow comes off strike plate. I cant a little with some selfbows and others none at all.

When i cant i am not nearly as consistent Never cant indoors or with barebow.

HH~.

·
Administrator
867 Posts
I have a slight cant when shooting split-finger, but my bow is vertical when shooting 3-under. With split-finger I need the cant to get the arrow closer to under my eye whereas with 3-under the arrow is naturally closer to being under my eye. IMO, it doesn’t make much of a difference either way since, when shooting vertical, the arrow isn’t offset from my eye a whole ton. It would be worse if I were shooting with a glove or a longbow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Shoot both ways. When i shoot glove or tab i just anchor lower and can keep bow vertical. Im usually hunting a heavy setup when i do this however.

You start canting with a SB and you had better be super consistant with the cant. Just a little to much or not enough and the arrow will be in another GMU when hunting.

HH~

·
Registered
140 Posts
My selfbows you can see thru sight window.

Yep shot is way more repeatable holding vertical or youd see shooters at 75m canting, right?

it can come in handy in some situations without question.

HH~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts