Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
This is what happens as a consequence of my policy to not use emoticons, or text message abbreviations. Folks take my comments seriously. I guess I should have put "ell-oh-ell" after broad head. Notice how I slickly avoided violating my no text message abbreviation policy.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
Gary,

There is a good reason for target shooters to avoid the State Broadhead. We are taught to pull arrows by placing our hand against the target with the arrow shaft touching the webbing between our thumb and index finger, and pulling.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Gary,

Sounds like fun, though I am a sissy in the heat. I emailed Craig to see if Stringwalking was allowed for the recurves, any idea.

Rasyad

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Gary,

There is a good reason for target shooters to avoid the State Broadhead. We are taught to pull arrows by placing our hand against the target with the arrow shaft touching the webbing between our thumb and index finger, and pulling.
Now, that's true. I help with NASP training the 6 Graders at science camp and the instructor was telling the kid to pull the arrow like you indicated above. The other parent and myself, both bowhunters, we started to laugh. The instructor stop class and asked us why. We told him! Now I am not calling anyone sissy.
Dan

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
Here is the rationale from the rules:

"This tournament is designed to appeal to the bowhunter as opposed to the tournament archer. It is designed to offer the hunter some benefits without his/her becoming entangled in the aspects of a Field tournament. NFAA rules do not apply to this event."

Yeah, have to be careful pulling arrows. You can use practice heads, but even those can take a chunk if not careful.

Rasyad, the rules state nothing about SW/FW. The basic idea is that you have to shoot tackle and points that are CA DFG legal for hunting. Also, no stabilizer over 12" (although CA DFG does not prohibit or limit them).

It would be funny to show up with an Oly rig wrapped in camo tape and a big broadhead on a tiny target arrow.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I was told many years ago the state broadhead was to give the hunting members of CBH a shoot where they could use their hunting tackle. This was before 3d was invented.
As for removing arrows, I always used the " target method" of pulling arrows until one day a target arrow was pulled and had a Broadhead attached to it. This was a public range so no telling how it got there. The scar is now lost in the old age wrinkles on my left hand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts