Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been really satisfied with any carbon arrows I've tried till now---I've been shooting the Cabelas SST carbons lately and am very impressed! These are the little skinny ones with outserts. They weigh about 520 grains with a 200 grain point on them. Out of my 51 lb. Iron Mtn. longbow the 220's fly the best.
My good buddy James Wrenn loaned me one to try out --- it was fletched with 4" fletch and even with that short fletch I could shoot the big 160 grain snuffers with perfect arrow flight!
They're $39.99 from Cabelas and I highly recommend them. Just :2cents: :)

Wally

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I told you so Wally. :) I got my other dozen today but I think they sent the wrong nocs.They fit the 230s fine but are real loose on the 220s.Did yours come with the green ones and were they loose?

·
Registered
266 Posts
How funny it is that there are so many manufacturers of carbon arrows and each type has its determined 'lovers'.

I think we must admit that since the shooting styles and habits are that much individual, that we also need this many arrow types. Did not understand this before.

Many users favor their model andclaim it to be much more resitant than others. Also here the opinons differ. My favorite is still CExpress.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Torsten it is that way with everything.Every person winds up likeing what works the best for them wether it is bows, arrows or strings. :)

I think ce makes some of the best arrows out there but I shoot lighter weight bows and use them for hunting more than anything else.For that reason the lighter spine and small diameter plus the reasonably weight makes the SSTs the better choice for me.I can shoot skinny arrows that give me 8 to 10gns per lb of bow weight without shooting real heavy points, shooting long arrows or stuffing them with something to get the weight up. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Thats good info, I'll have to check cabalas out. Never done any business with them.
I like the skinnies and had thought the outsert style were no longer being made. I really like them best for narrow sheved longbows.

I have a bunch of the older ones. lately been shooting AFC/GT 2200's out of the 60# Savannah at 29.5 with an 80gr. tip I get a sub-400gr arrow that flies like a laser beam. I found one of the Cabalas 2200s in the orphan arrow bin and it shoots right into the same group as the others.
I even have a set of 1880s with glue in target tips, but they are more than a wee bit underspined for #55-60 range bows

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
I tried some of these back when I first returned to archery, in fact they were my very first carbon arrows (shot Microflite before that - LOL). My objection to the SSTs is the outserts, which make pulling arrows from most of the bales I shoot into very difficult. How do you guys who like them deal with that?

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
DA, I have heard that some clubs won't let you use outserts on their foam critters--pulling them out pulls out the edges of the foam. They do take a little more effort but not much on the bag type targets. For me the main trick is to get a good clean joint between outsert and shaft. it there is any glue showing it really can snag in the targets. I also give em a twist as I pull them out

Also some brands have a lower sleeker angle on the back edge of their outserts than others. Years ago I actually carefully chucked some in a drill and spun them against a fine file then 400 wd paper to reduce the angle on some. then hit'em with some AL-black solution form the gun shop.

Another thing is that glue on target points wiht snap-off central weight shafts are/were available that are much lower profile than the outserts for screw in heads. My set of 2200s has eight half with the target tips and six with outserts for hunting heads. My 1880s are all target tips :shooting:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Mark I think I answered your pm but I am not sure. :) Anyway the 220s spine 62lbs (same as 2016 xx75s)and the 230s are 75lbs.This was checked on my homemade tester that checks out with known aluminums.

As far as the outserts go they are tapered pretty good so the only real issue with targets is pulling them out because they go in so deep and are harder to grab hold of that a fat shaft.

On my hunting arrows I made an insert to glue my broadhead on and don't use the outserts.I only use them for killing and they come out the otherside so pulling them is not an issue. :)

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
t o dws,

If you know of a source for those glue in target points I would appreciate it. Can't find anything like that in Cabala's catalog (web site). If I could find some I would put the 9 or 10 of those things I have back to work for a bit.

Dave

·
Banned
808 Posts
I found outserts to be trouble with targets ,bags in particular.

I don,t dought that some clubs would rather thye not be used on their targets.I never tried them myself because of all the trouble my nieghbor had with his gettin them out of the targets and because one of his outserts was stuck in one of my targets causeing trouble with my arrows.

It,s great if they work for ya I know those old AFC arrows where quite the set up.just a pain to pull is all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far have had no problems with pulling them out of my 3D targets....They do penetrate pretty good so the easiest way to pull them out is with two hands...I haven't noticed where they tear up my 3D targets any more than a 'normal' arrow but I need to shoot them a few hundred more times to see what the long term effect will be on my targets....

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I used the AFC outserted shafts a long time ago. Most clubs even had signs at their shoots that stated "No Outsert Arrows Allowed"... the dreaded Mackenzie target killers.

$39.99 for SST's? Their website lists them at $59.99

So, it sounds like the 220's shoot well out of 50# with heavy up-front, but what about normal 125-145 gr. up front? Guess I'd have to shoot a longer shaft, huh?

40-43# @ 29 -
would the 220's be way too stiff (need to use really long shaft and/or really heavy up-front)?

I wouldn't mind experimenting with this as well. Don't think I'd shoot them all that much into my new Rhinehart target though.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Just called and\ order in for a couple of dozen 220s from cabelas this evening after reading the earlier post. you have to scroll down a bit to get ot the bare shafting at the lower price, the higher price is for fletched shafts. The one Cabela 220 I have shoots right into the same group as my AFC 2200s---my guess is that it is the same old AFC/Gametracker/ Blackhawk shaft now just private labled for Cabelas. I'm using 100 gr target points with a 29.5" bop and they shoot great out of a series of warfers from #55 to #65 and my 60# Savannah

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Thanks Wayne. Sounds like if I try some of these for my 50# warfer, I'm going to have to leave 'em long or use heavier up-front. What is the bare shaft full-length?

Looks like there's no spine range in these shafts for 40-45#ers. Maybe the 220's will tune at full-length and 20-30% FOC... how are you guys getting 200 grains up-front?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Piney Wally's bow is not as centershot as mine.I can shoot the 220s cut for a 28" arrow with 125 and 145gns out of my [email protected] bows.I can shoot 125 to 160gn points out of most of my 45lb bows.Any thing that I can shoot a 1916 or 2016 out of I can use the 220 in with maybe a point change.I do have to load the front of the 230s out of a 50lb bow.I have to cut them 29' with 200gns on the front. jmo

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Thanks for that info James. Couple more questions...

What size screw-ins do the outserts take? (comparable aluminum dia. such as 19/64, 21/64, 23/64)

How do you load up-front to 200 grains? The outserts come in different weights?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
19/64matches the outsert perfect.I use 200gn screw-in feild points and use 160gn broadheads on a 42gn screw-in adapter.The 200gn feild points are fatter than the shaft but come tapered at the back for easy pulling.You can buy the 175 feild points in 5/16 which is close enough to the outsert to not matter.
I use the ssts for hunting and really don't use them much at 3ds because I have to shoot in the unlimited class with my longbow.I shoot 1916 or 2016s at most shoots.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Piney the outsert is 20/64.I posted above on memory which is not a good thing for me sometimes. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts