Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another in a SERIES of discussions about various carbon arrows.

This one is about CABELAS SST

Please provide personal experiences and/or data that you have.

Also, provide links to previous discussions here at TradTalk, as well as other forums about CABELAS SST.

thank you :)

G

·
I bought a dozen of the 230 shafts and have played with them a little bit out of my Longbow with terrible results.

My 'curve seems to love them. More to come on that. I need to shoot them more.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I bought some 230's after hearing James talking so favorably of them. I had other bow projects going and forgot them in the arrow bucket for awhile. A few weeks ago I finally worked them up. James was right:) . They fly great, penetrate like crazy, and seem very tough. I've had zero problems on bad hits so far. I will be ordering more.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I consider them the ultimate hunting arrow for my bow weights.The outserts can be a chore at times to get good and straight but once done they are great.They are heavy which can be a plus or negative depending on how you look at it. :) Because they are dense and have a much smaller hole in the middle they are the quietest carbons I have shot.I broke my second one this year when a hog did a carp roll on it.That is the second in about 6 years of shooting however.The first was a robinhood.Another advantage for me is the small diameter allows me to shoot them out of wood bows that would normally be hard to match a carbon to. jmo

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I did have a list with a bunch of carbons on it but lost it in the computer crash a few months back.I do know the 220 is right between a 1916 and 2016 and I use it in bows that shoot those sizes.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Cool but be aware the outserts and nocks are expensive and they don't come with them.If you are not carefull you will have more in them than just buying Maverick arrows or SST shafts.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill, I can tell you my experience with the 220's. I was bareshafting them (125 gr. head) out of my Quinn Stallion (47#) and they were too weak of spine for my 29" draw. I couldn't cut them down short enough and didn't want to use a lighter weight head. If I were to do it again, I would use the 230's and then maybe use a heavier head around 160 gr. or better if needed. Would have to agree with James, they are a quiet shaft because of being nearly solid with so little hollowness to them. They were heavier than your typical Beman/Easton shafts at around 380-390 gr. finished, the 220's were more like 420-430 finished... both using 125 gr. head.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
The 220s are very consistant at an average of .570 deflection. The outserts you get from Cabelas suck in comparison to the Game Tracker AFC 2200 outserts if you can find them. Speaking of the AFC 2200, they show a deflection of .550 but are a bit lighter in overall weight.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
I have a 1/2doz for some 15/64 Beman Carbon Hunter shafts but have'nt glued any on yet, but they slide on nicely with no slop. Seem kind of thin where they taper in at the waist.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ordered the SST 220s shafts and as I read the description also ordered nocks and outserts. The shafts came with outserts and nocks but that is okay as I now have extras. By the way these outserts were much better then those I received a year or so ago.

Charlie - SA

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
CJ5, what is the weight recurve that you are shooting the 230 out of? I have a 58#@30.5" recurve that I would like to get arrows for, but I don't know if I need the 230 or 240. Cabela's chart says I need a 240, but I don't know if that is geared for compounds or not.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I would go with the 240s.I use the 230s out of bows around 50lbs cut 29" with point weights from 125 to 175 depending on the bow..I also use the 240s cut the same with 200gn or heavier points.I think the 230s will be weak for you.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ronin........I'm shooting them off my [email protected] Arrow is 30" BOP with a 125 gr. point.....centershot adjusted just left of string. These show a little weak when bareshafted. Not badly, but I had trimmed them as far as I dared. I think I'll go with some 240's next. It may take a heavier head to get a tolerable finished length, but I dont mind 150's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have about 2 dozen cabelas maverick/sst arrows with no outserts. They are size #240. Where can a person find these? Cabelas does not have any.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
The SST arrows are basically the old AFC, Affiliated Fibers Corp. They're pultruded carbon fibers. ie, all the carbon is compressed into one direction. The AFC company used similiar arrow designation to the Cabelas shafts. Theirs went 2200-2300-2400-2540. These numbers were basically the outside diameter of the shaft.

The company stopped making them when the preference for arrows went to "fat carbons", which at the time everybody wanted ...and didn't want the "skinnies".

Anyway, I've got a bunch of components for shafts from 2300-2400 and 2540 shafts. I could part with some..... If someone is really hurtin for components PM me and I'll see if I have what you need.

Tom

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
I have a dozen of the SST 230 shafts, full length which is about 34". They could be cut down to normal length and I have a bag of out-serts, if anyone's interested.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you for your reply tom. I would like to come up with about 2 dozen outserts for the 240 size arrows, or the 2400 arrows, as I have been told they are pretty much the same. Let me know what you would want for them and if I can afford it, I would like to buy them. thanx. Oly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts