Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a voyeur on this sight for a couple months now, so decided to finally jump in. First off want to say ...I have learned alot about shooting from advice given here ,thank you all for sharing that . I have been shooting a hoyt buffalo 40#. I consider myself an intermediate shooter. I'm looking to buy a 25" ILF riser. To mostly shoot NFAA trad Recurve. I have a spigarelli BB on order,but have also been considering the explorer II. I also like the looks of the bernardini Nilos,because the grip looks slim like my hoyt. As you all no it's hard to shoot these risers before you buy ,so I would appreciate any input from the forum. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I do not speak Italian so I'll defer to those fluent in that.

Reactions: Joefire36

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Joe, get a riser (the Sprig is very good). Now learn to tune and work on you form. The most important thing is not which riser you shoot but how good you can tune and how good your form is.

I promise this is true. I good tuner and good form can out shoot most people with any riser. In practical pistol shooting there is a saying...... it is the Indian not the arrow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Joe, welcome to the forum.

If HB means Huntington Beach I have a 23" Nilo you could try.
Seems people either hate or love the grip. I like it. Yes it's slim.

I shoot at Oranco, come on out.

Max

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the fact that the NFAA now allows the use of a 12" stabilizer make a weighted riser not as beneficial?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I have a Best Moon I shoot in Ibo TRD, which is off the shelf, no plunger or weights. Its great for that. I just picked up a SF Forged riser and set it up for Ibo RU and it would fit Nfaa as well. Its a sweet shooter as well, and half the price of some of the risers you mentioned. At this stage of your archery, I sorta agree with Rusty. However your going to find a 25" riser and appropriate limbs to be more accurate then your buffalo. I have a buffalo and it wont shoot as good "for me" as my Moon. Some of that could be the weight on the fingers, but longer bows have an advantage or two. :D

Reactions: Joefire36

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
If you are going to shoot NFAA then yes, the stab makes a huge difference. In my mind there really isn't much benefit from a BB specific riser. Getting all the mass you can handle as far away from the bow as possible has major benefits.

I really like a riser with a lot of weight in the very bottom because it keeps me from canting. I've got a SF Forged + with a 12" stab and what I did was put the stab in the bottom bushing. The bow balances very nicely.
I've also go a BEST Moon which is an excellent riser that balances almost as well with just screw-in weight (WA BB legal).

I have yet to find a BB specific riser which came with a grip I could live with, they all stunk to different degrees. Although the SF grip is a little low for me it is a very pleasent shape to shoot, similar to the Jager BEST.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
If you are going to shoot NFAA then yes, the stab makes a huge difference. In my mind there really isn't much benefit from a BB specific riser. Getting all the mass you can handle as far away from the bow as possible has major benefits.

I really like a riser with a lot of weight in the very bottom because it keeps me from canting. I've got a SF Forged + with a 12" stab and what I did was put the stab in the bottom bushing. The bow balances very nicely.
I've also go a BEST Moon which is an excellent riser that balances almost as well with just screw-in weight (WA BB legal).

I have yet to find a BB specific riser which came with a grip I could live with, they all stunk to different degrees. Although the SF grip is a little low for me it is a very pleasent shape to shoot, similar to the Jager BEST.

-Grant
Amen on the low weight and upright bow. I'll catches me canting an upright tuned bow way too often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts