Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the general consensus out there with broadheads. Do you like to glue them on or screw them in? I would say once you glue them on you don’t have to worry about them coming loose but, if you want to switch points and your not running a threaded adapter then your out of luck. The screw in you have to make sure they are tight and I guess that’s about it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I got my 1st glue ins this year. Im sold and will get glue ons whenever possible with my bh choice.
I like that I can manipulate my bh weight with adapters so as to make a head work without arrow rebuild/insert change. Along with the ease of bh orientation so I can use said head for gaps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my 1st glue ins this year. Im sold and will get glue ons whenever possible with my bh choice.
I like that I can manipulate my bh weight with adapters so as to make a head work without arrow rebuild/insert change. Along with the ease of bh orientation so I can use said head for gaps.
Thats a good point. So you are using a glue on to screw in adapter? What type of glue are you using?? I have been using the Bob smiths IC-2000 rubber toughened epoxy for my inserts. Don’t know if it’s stout enough for a glue on head

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Glue ons allow you to change the weight on the broadhead with different weight adaptors.

With screw ins you have to heat the insert to change the weight. People say they've never had a problem with heat on carbon, but I know they will before I do. One of the reasons they make low temp hot melt. Heat is not good for carbon.

Bowmania

·
Bart Harmeling
3,684 Posts
Lots of BH's are really glue ons, but can be purchased with an adapter already installed. Like an Eskimo or Woodsman. I have used glue ons with wood shafts and swagged aluminum shafts. I really like them mounted on adapters better. Better for switching points and I like to have the BH on a short handle for sharpening as opposed to leaving it on the arrow. Hot melt glue would be my choice for glue, but have used epoxy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I regularly use both screw in and glue on broadheads. It doesn't matter much as long as I can get them to spin true but I think I prefer glue on just a bit more, makes it easier to index them.

·
Spearhead
4,005 Posts
Screw in are set up for you, all you have to do is spin test them and index how you like.
indexing is where glue in shines. You can index the blades how you prefer and they are the exact as screw ins, Same products are used for both one is just put together for you.
I have both types and liking the glue ins, going back to indexing if your lining up the blades to fletch is fine but doesn’t do anything for tune.
I draw the broadhead approx 1/2” into the window of the bow, indexing so the blades don’t hit the riser on the draw is critical.
as far as glue, I use low temp craft glue.

Chad

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like glue on with glue in and glue on adaptors. At this point I have so many of both I'd be nuts to switch. I just enjoy working with aluminum shafts more than carbon. It's just easier for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm using all glue-ins for quite a while now. Have pretty much settled into what I want and like how they perform. The glue-in profiles I use are more narrow and long as compared to shorter and wider screw-ins.

There are some really good fixed screw-ins though, my girlfriend shoots a lower poundage compound and I suggested the magnus Stingers or Killer Bees. I only shot one deer with them but it did great and lots of friends have good experiences as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,907 Posts
Aluminum threaded shanks are the weak point, but seem OK for deer sized game. Steel is stronger. But for game that is big and bitey I used all steel glue-in adaptors for aluminum shafts, and glued Grizzly broadheads to them. I used the tough 2020 aluminum shaft - everything strong. Sadly, I never won the lottery so could never take them to Alaska, Africa or Asia, but I had the arrows and the bow. - lbg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thats a good point. So you are using a glue on to screw in adapter? What type of glue are you using?? I have been using the Bob smiths IC-2000 rubber toughened epoxy for my inserts. Don’t know if it’s stout enough for a glue on head
Ive just been using low temp hot melt. I am hell on inserts and heads. Always in trees /rocks and crap cuz I cant hit nuthin. I love this blue hot melt though. Only ever broke it loose unintentionally Shooting in single digits.
Yes glue on to screw in adapter. I was really apprehensive at 1st but the little bit Ive screwed with em all spins up true and holds up as well as anything else Ive shot

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive just been using low temp hot melt. I am hell on inserts and heads. Always in trees /rocks and crap cuz I cant hit nuthin. I love this blue hot melt though. Only ever broke it loose unintentionally Shooting in single digits.
Yes glue on to screw in adapter. I was really apprehensive at 1st but the little bit Ive screwed with em all spins up true and holds up as well as anything else Ive shot
Can you provide a link to it? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.