Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to elk camp in a few days. Picked up some woodsman broadhead with aluminum adapter for a 150 gr head.
accuracy is fantastic, get a great edge on them and a nice shooting head. Issue is they are noisy, I can’t imagine an animal not hearing them in flight. So what can be done to eliminate the broadhead hiss.
side note, these might be next seasons broadhead but not this season or elk hunt.

Chad

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've also experienced this with the same heads. Years ago....Im talking 30 there was a huge vented head called an Anderson magnum. This is back when my compound was probably at 200 fps. These things hissed unreal bad. One morning at camp I swear a doe was straight up dodging my arrows. I emptied the quiver of magnums and had 1 muzzy left. With 3 arrows in the dirt she stood there and took the silent muzzy without a twitch.

After that no more hissing for me except for my shield cut feathers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They make the woodman in a non vented blade now. Those are probably what you need. 3 rivers could probably get them to you in time for this year. If not I would find some two blade Magnus stingers. Easy to sharpen and they fly great.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've haven't seen the broad heads but if they have holes maybe you can cover them with a piece of tape cut to fit before hunting? just an idea I had

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
For whitetails I use a big Snuffer. Compared to a WW they should make more noise, they're bigger. When I first started (with Snuffers) I had some that didn't make noise and discovered the noisy one's didn't spin true. And I don't mean spinning on a table. Back then I cut 'V's in a shoe box to cradle the arrow and piece of paper with a dot (see picture). That will show you an off center broadhead that spinning on a table won't.
Gadget Rectangle Office supplies Box Tints and shades

The dot on the paper didn't show up very well. But if you slowly rotate the arrow, you can see the arrow point rotate around the dot instead of straight at it. That can make noise.

Since I saw a doe duck some swallows flying near her, I started shooting straight fletching. I don't think bow noise makes any difference. Compounds are very loud.

I surely wouldn't suggest Coodster's arrows are not tuned, but for the newbs a tuned arrow will be quieter than a non-tuned arrow. I don't think elk will duck an arrow like a whitetail. The only movement I've seen was after the arrow was in the elk.

I think taping the vents was a good idea. Never thought of it!

Bowmania

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cood, I use them at times also. The vented WW elites (made by VPA I believe) also make a "hiss" for me. The non-vented VPAs are silent. I still use both as I don't feel the hiss is that big a worry, at least for me. I've taken too many deer and a nice bear 2 years ago with the vented versions and had no negative experiences.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Vented broadheads along with helical fletching is very noisy. Most of the time when people talk about animal jumping the string are describing in fact the animal jumping a « hissing » arrow.

·
Spearhead
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good information.
tape I didn’t think of, good idea.
bowmania, thanks I guarantee the bow is tuned to my grizzly bruins, I can also guarantee the two woodsmans I shot do not spin true, took a few that were giving me fits and decided they will be practice heads.
I will keep working on the woodsmans and update before next season, side note I did take an 1/8” off the tip and filed to a chisel point, so shouldn’t curl.
im liking these heads

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Coodster, I knew you were tuned. Here's something on the WW VPA, which I don't shoot, kind of. I don't believe in screw in broadheads, because it's hard to change the weight on them. In fact, you can only change the insert. So I'm shooting the Snuffer and I see that Big Jim has some VPA glue ons, the same weight I shoot and just a tad bigger than a Snuffer non vented. I bought 3. They're way better than a WW or a Snuffer. Tip has a beautiful trocar tip. You can barely see this in a 3Rivers picture. All three weighed with in 3 grains.

Unfortunately, he sold out. I talked to Jim and asked if he was going to have another run of them. Nope. So I asked if he'd do run of them with VPA for me. I asked on the LW, AT and here for interested parties. I came within 15-18 short.

Since then, I found a dozen in all places - France. Shipping made them expensive.

Bowmania

·
Spearhead
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s why I went to the woodsmans, I can’t find any in stock screw in grizzly bruins, or glue in for that matter. been waiting for 3 months.
Have extra but want to keep them stocked up.
Guess I could place an order for them and just wait till they get stock.

Chad

·
finger shooter
3,410 Posts
Great thread. Has me thinking as I have used the elite woodsmen Bh and other vented BH’s. Videotaped a few last few years and noticed deer dropping almost to the ground as the arrow got there. I think Cody did a noise study… might have to look that up. Right now my Palmer BH’s fly great but this has me thinking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've also experienced this with the same heads. Years ago....Im talking 30 there was a huge vented head called an Anderson magnum. This is back when my compound was probably at 200 fps. These things hissed unreal bad. One morning at camp I swear a doe was straight up dodging my arrows. I emptied the quiver of magnums and had 1 muzzy left. With 3 arrows in the dirt she stood there and took the silent muzzy without a twitch.

After that no more hissing for me except for my shield cut feathers.
Briar2
I fooled around with those same broad heads, what a mistake !!!
Was shooting a 55 lb. bear Grizzly (1990?), those things flew like knuckle balls, besides the noise.
I could never get even one arrow to fly reliably, went back to my Aces.
The individual that "designed" and sold them was from the same town I grew up in so I gave my homies broad head a try.
I believe he was also involved with the Anderson Tree Sling, an early tree saddle.
The story, rumor, urban legend behind those products,were that he was "hunting" (sneaking) on to the Doris Duke estate (now Duke Farms) in Somerville NJ approx. 2700 acres.
He needed a quick killing broad head, hence the design.
The Tree Sling left no evidence of his tree stand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts