Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in taking some advice from Steve Morley?...I'm trying to keep my string hand forearm relaxed and draw the elbow back...which is kind of tough to do with a 30# bow as I almost need to fight to retain Back Tension...but I did get a system down where I would purchase the string, seat the grip and then?....

Slowly Inhale as I raised the bow and Slowly Exhale as I drew and anchored...and it actually seemed to help relax me...or?...maybe it was just keeping my OCD driven ADHD based TP busy and distracted while I focused on form! :lol:

Also?...I found that shooting this 8" longer (than my herters) 66" recurve that I needed to close my stance a bit for string/chest clearance...and this seemed to also increase my DL...and for bonus points?....I did it in a swarming cloud of newly hatched mosquitoes!...now that's Focus Folks! :lol:

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello
Your fom just looks great. And your follow though has improved greatly. Nice going Jinks. ;)

Tread heading breathing.
For me I never breath in or out my mouth. From the old days I guess.
Open the mouth and the anchor jaw bone comes down.[ Later

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Looks good, you really don't have to think about back tension, just get alignment correct and Forearms relaxed and BT will already be there. For you BT has become a mental distraction, at this moment just trust that alignment will do the job.

The follow through should be a result of physics and not you thinking about getting your string hand back, the more you try and make it happen the harder it becomes

As for breathing I inhale as I draw and exhale 40-50% on at anchor and the rest is exhaled after release but I don't think about it, it's how I always shot.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't really know enough to comment, but your certainly looking a lot better than some people I've watched.
That breathing thing,I used to take 3 deep breaths as a approached the shooting stake during competition.
Those three were to help me relax and they worked very well.
As I shot I'd take a breath on the up take of the draw and then let out some of it as I settled into anchor.
Couldn't really say how much some is, just enough to be comfortable I guess.
This post has reminded me about that, so thanks I needed that.

John.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jinkster, just a little advice. Be careful to not time your release to a specific exhale depth. If you're not careful TP could set in. At full draw keep breathing and release when you're on-target when you want to let go. For example, dance around your aiming spot then hold strong on your aiming spot, then release. (at full draw of course)

For some un-known reason a routine such as breathing, anchor spot or pre-anchor touch, draw tension, bouncing - moving the bow arm up then down quickly are just a few tics that cause un-wanted releases (I call it TP). Force the draw and sink it deep taking control of the bow, then breath shallow or deep before allowing the string to fly.

When warming up make sure you exaggerate your form, again taking complete control of the bow and draw. Try this, snap shoot the first arrow out of your bow and then see how much effort it takes to take control of the bow...

Ryan

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I've been paying much more attention to breathing and it seems to have a major influence on my anxiety level when shooting. If I don't arrive at full draw with a good lungful then I feel rushed. A few good deeps breaths to clear my head before shooting is also essential.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! :)

Steve...I would love to shoot with Dana and get schooled in form refinement but I'm not going to waste his time until I'm certain that I'm willing to commit in full to this style of shooting...I know it's a form that will increase my longer distance shooting in leaps and bounds but...if it's simply not enjoyable to me?...I wouldn't be worthy of his time or instruction.

That said?...I have decided that I'm going to take another run at this as long as I can keep it fun, enjoyable and relaxing...cause when I start getting obsessive with it and stressing or?...struggling to get to that next level?...that's about the time my old bud TP comes knocking on my door...but I have found that for some reason?...if I incorporate "concentrating on breathing" and?....being extremely repetitious and methodical with execution of sequence and form?...well?....I can now see where anything is possible and the skies the limit as long as I don't try to reach altitude too quickly...just nice, slow and steady as she goes. ;)

But I am already thinking how nice it would be to hit up some field events with a stolid bull and some sweet wimpy yet fast azz limbs! :lol:

Thanks again folks and L8R, Bill. :)

·
Premium Member
All
1,045 Posts
Hello Jinks.
Here is my off the wall breathing habit.I do breath tho ;)

I draw to anchor with a very deep breath in though my nose.
Let it out through my nose till I feel like both shoulders are level.
Then I breath ever so lightly in and out my nose watching the target spot.

When I think its time to commit myself to the shot. I then take in a minute amount of air though my nose. And there hold what breath I have taken in. which is not much. And start my shot engine. I feel holding to much air gives way to. To strong of a set of mussel follow through.
Yes I believe in a strong shot. But a relax strong shot.

Sorta like your at full draw wile hunting a deer. Waiting on him to step out from that tree limb. Your still breathing you just haven't cut it off yet to hold for the shot. [ Later

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Jinkster, I don't know if this will apply to you and your bow. I have been working on my shot also.

I found this simple clip. The thing I have been working on is at 1:35 bow arm. I had a lot of movement in my bow arm after the shot. This young lady has none. I used a training aid strap and got my line much better. I put ah thread up, here while back about making the train aid.

I finally got every thing in line so that on release I am very close to her. It tightened my group instantly.

This is not a criticisms. It was just a path I took.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.