Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with shadow hunter box blinds? I'm too old to climb trees and wouldn't mind having a heater in the blind with me. Getting to old. Dick

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Not shadow hunters box blinds per se but shooting house and groundblinds are pretty much a given for me, I went to ground hunting totally about 4 years ago. I love'em and I've got several of the Baronett hub blinds large enough to shoot a 66" longbow from.

Oh, and the heater? Greatest thing since sliced bread and rolled sausage on those really cold mornings!

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Mike and I meet a fellow in his late 80's still hunting. He put curved rebar down in a winter rye field. Covered it with carpet. Cut some shooting slots in it. Circled it with deer corn at about five yards. Hunting wickiup?

Be shot with very short sinew backed bodark Indians bows. His shots were 7 or 8 yards. By reputation he took a lot of deer.

I know another old ground hunter. He hunts behind big oak and pecan trees. He cleans out around the bottoms and circles around the tree keeping the trunk between him and the deer till the deer is in poisition. He wares wool shocks over his boots.

There is no right way. Figure out how to hunt your deer and go for it

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You can have 10-12 Baronetts as large and larger than the Shadow Hunter for that. I do like a solid shooting house for rifle hunting but those I build mostly permanent. For bow hunting I like to have more latitude to move around, take advantage of new found funnels or food sources.

On something like the Shadow Hunter I'd definitely mount it on something to make it portable...

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Go for the blind dick! Find what works for you in terms of cost ,weight, window position, and what ever else... And then enjoy your hunting from ground evel.. All the best!

Tom

·
Registered
503 Posts
$1500 for a danged blind? No way Jose. I do hunt from ground blinds, but I go for cheap. I have a hub type blind that I got on sale for $200. Very portable. I will be working on a 10 tower in late spring, that I can get for $500 at my local welding shop. Cover it for another $100 or so, and have quite a shooting house. Warm with a heater, out of the wind and rain, just like home. I'll put an old swivel office chair in it, carpet on the floor, a porta potty, and I can pull an all day sit. It helps too when I have the fidgets and can't sit still. BTW, I'm getting too old to be uncomfortable. Did a lot of that stuff when I was young. Sat in the snow, sleet, rain, freezing temps. None of that for me! LOL!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I have seen the blinds your talking about at a show. They are extremely nice, covered in aluminum sheeting I believe. They are built for the long haul. Are they pricey, guess that depends on your budget and willingness to make your own blind and deal with keeping it weather proof. I can't afford one, but my dad has several we built years ago that are now junk. No doubt a shadow hunter blind would still be nice today, had we chosen that option. They also have a cool bracket called the elevators to put your blind in the air. Next blind I out in the air will be using those.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunatly,hub blinds seem to walk away from.my farm. My last doublebull was broken by someone who didn't know how to take it down. Physically, . I can't take a hub blind up and down. My brothers will help build it. I know where I want it and it won't move. 300# blind is hard to steal. Dick

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Unfortunatly,hub blinds seem to walk away from.my farm. My last doublebull was broken by someone who didn't know how to take it down. Physically, . I can't take a hub blind up and down. My brothers will help build it. I know where I want it and it won't move. 300# blind is hard to steal. Dick
The ones we build have the door in the floor and elevated. Keeps people from seeing in, and allows us to lock it. We run a 3/8" rod thru the 2x4 and have the lock on one end sorta in a pocket. You can't really get at the part you can cut with bolt cutters, and I doubt you could do much damage with a hammer. Of course they could jamb something into the key hole and then we would be up a creek. Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts