Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Never used a bike for hunting, but from past experience with using a bike to get to some fishing spots, you would be better off using a take down bow that is broken down and encased when transporting. I broke a very good two piece rod when I took a spill while riding some tough terrain. I had the rod in two pieces at the time and still broke it. I would have been better off with a 4 piece rod broken down in a case. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
You can get forks that clamp to the handle bars which you sit the bow in as your peddling the back roads.
Just getting to or into areas I have a large Vista Quiver with pockets designed to take the riser and limbs broken down.
I've often used my bike " Triumph Thunderbird T3 Triple" to get to shoots and down country to my hunting areas and the Vista is perfect for that.
Like Ronin say's though, If you put it down at any sort of speed your going to cause damage,plus be it motor or push bike your bow could become something else that can really hurt you.

John.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I elk hunt off my mountain bike quite a bit. Makes for pretty good access in non motorized areas with old logging/mining roads. I usually take my bow down and strap it to my pack. I have strapped it to my pack upside down with the quiver stuffed in a pocket on my pack fully strung. You have to be careful about overhead clearance with that method and most times is not practical. Make sure your limbs clear the tires also, could be ugly if it got caught up in there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm doing that kind of hunting this year also. I'm not sure of the configuration yet. Last year my buddy mounted his strung bow on the handle bars, it worked, but it looked like a pain, and not safe. I put on a heavy duty front, and rear rack, and am thinking I will leave the bow in pieces, and hang it off the front rack in a safari case for the trip in. Possibly use ATV forks on the front rack, if I'm actually needing a strung bow handy. I think it really depends on how readily accessible you need a strung bow. I really don't see how any mounting option of a strung bow would be safe on a tight trail situation.
Are you using a trailer?
Doug

·
Bart Harmeling
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No trailer this year, but if things work out I may go that way. I plan to use the bike on service access roads that are closed to motorized vehicles. Also several solid ridges in the area I would like to try. All open terrain with no trees. Much of the ground is spongy and I'm curious how my fat tire bike will do.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I would like to see a picture of that rack also.
I Bought a used Bob Ibex, but I'm going to try and get my hunting gear and a spike camp in three panniers on a front and rear rack. If you have any interest in a tough USA made rack, check out Old Man Mountain, expensive, but tough. They even make a model to fit on front suspention.
I saw the Bob in action, and would have preferred a seat stem mount like this http://aevon.com/ but it was the difference of about $700.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
A socket style 2-piece longbow would fit inside a Safari Tough quiver and they go together pretty darn quick/don't really need a stringer.

Not like you will be doing your final stalk on the bike afterall.

-Grant

·
Registered
23 Posts
I elk hunt off my mountain bike quite a bit. Makes for pretty good access in non motorized areas with old logging/mining roads. I usually take my bow down and strap it to my pack. I have strapped it to my pack upside down with the quiver stuffed in a pocket on my pack fully strung. You have to be careful about overhead clearance with that method and most times is not practical. Make sure your limbs clear the tires also, could be ugly if it got caught up in there.
Do you have any pictures or details how you pack it? Also, if you do manage to kill an elk, how do you get it out of the woods on a bike?

Thanks,
BM

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Now this is a very interesting thread....I have a question on what Brand of Mountain bicycles you guys have found to be most suitable, well built, and what would the possible cost be ? I can see the possibilities. The trailers I looked at from the link posted above...very nice...but I imagine are pricey....didn't see the prices yet. Any and all comments on both the bicycles and trailers would be welcomed. Even though somewhat off topic...thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Now this is a very interesting thread....I have a question on what Brand of Mountain bicycles you guys have found to be most suitable, well built, and what would the possible cost be ? I can see the possibilities. The trailers I looked at from the link posted above...very nice...but I imagine are pricey....didn't see the prices yet. Any and all comments on both the bicycles and trailers would be welcomed. Even though somewhat off topic...thanks in advance
Used!
Seriously, you can get a few year old top of the line bike with anything that would break already replaced for less than Walmart junk if you look around.

Grant

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.