Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting this evening at my local range and the pro coach / staff person recommended lowering my nocking point. We did, the arrows probably flew better, but the arrows then made a lot of noise when I shot. It sounded as though they were hitting the riser. But I don't understand how, my nocking point was still above the shelf. I raised it some, to quite the shot. I think it's the best of both worlds. Can someone explain the clacking sound I heard?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Probably hitting the shelf and giving false nock high indication. Lowered nock should have made it worse. Due to shooting three under I have to set mine just over 5/8" above square.
If you have an ILF bow you can try adjusting tiler as well.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you lowered the nock point and it produced a "clack" and raising it back up removed it, I think you've answered your own question. If your arrows are flying well and you no longer hear the clack it's probably just that the first move was too far and you may have found a better position.

The second nock point below your nock that Nuthatch recommended is a good idea, sometimes the back of the arrow can slide down the string when you release, in effect giving you a lower nock point than you think and may result in the contact and "clack" you heard.

If you really want to dial in your nock point, as well as other aspects of arrow tuning, this is a good link.

http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts