Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a bow length determined by the string it uses or? Reason is that Border has a bow length chart that gives bow length and brace ht for a particular limb. But I don't know how to factor it??

·
Space For Sale
229 Posts
Didn't you post before someplace you were shooting a 17 inch riser? I thought I read that on another post. Anyway, if you are your probably shooting a 62 inch bow. I think those Hex 5's are 22 1/2 inches long each. And Sam is correct about the longer string. You will probably need something like a 59 1/4 to 59 1/2 inch string for those limbs--then twist as necessary.

Maybe someone else can better answer your question. I might have it all wrong. Not even close to being a Border expert. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
What does it say on your limbs? Bottom limb at the base where the weight is, they should have the bow length for those limbs on a 25" riser. Then you just subtract for shorter risers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does it say on your limbs? Bottom limb at the base where the weight is, they should have the bow length for those limbs on a 25" riser. Then you just subtract for shorter risers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL I had not even looked at the writing. It says 60/17 55# The string sent says 60 on the bag and measures 59. To get around a 7 inch brace, 56.5 should be about right

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't you post before someplace you were shooting a 17 inch riser? I thought I read that on another post. Anyway, if you are your probably shooting a 62 inch bow. I think those Hex 5's are 22 1/2 inches long each. And Sam is correct about the longer string. You will probably need something like a 59 1/4 to 59 1/2 inch string for those limbs--then twist as necessary.

Maybe someone else can better answer your question. I might have it all wrong. Not even close to being a Border expert. :)
Yes, 17

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
I was told (or read somewhere) the Hex 5 use the same string length as a standard limb. Border kept to the AMO length convention which is why a med Hex 5 is the same length strung as short EBFs on the same riser. The Hex 6+ do their own thing and are not standard AMO measurements.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Did i miss something or was all this thread in Inches.

Cyrille, If you wish to use a non standard brace hieght for a bow design then the string will need to be a non standard length.
but SINCE AMO or ATA states that the bow can be any length required. as long as a AMO or ATA standard string fits with the correct BH designed by the bow maker, then a 60" bow can infact measure 59". or 61". Infact measure a BW 60" bow, round the recurves, straight accross the belly, and round the next recurve. nock shoulders to nock shoulders doesnt make 60"... why, because it doesnt need to if it is to take a string suitable for a 60" bow...

Now, we took this approach with the hex5. but realised that the bow length would become more and more compromised, for string angles, and for this reason hex6 limbs make a bow closer to 60" long, but you will need a longer string to accomodate the non standard BH.

What is even more fun is measure a 17" riser end to end, and note its not a 17" measurement.
For example the DAS 17" riser is 16.5" end to end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.