Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
A line on your hand to line up with a line on the bow?

All fingers bent around the grip to the one side?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Rusty, that is why I like Jager grips or other custom type grips. With a sharper edge that fits the hand, I find that getting a consistent hand grip is easier.

Alan

·
Registered
985 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
When I shot a Black Widow recurve, I put a piece of thin cord on the grip, under clear packing tape, so that I could reference the lifeline of my bow hand on it, and get the same hand position from shot to shot...Jim

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I use a 3/8" wide strip of skateboard tape on the back of my grips.

·
markliep
687 Posts
A few things helped me along with what's already been posted - shoot off the riser (riser edge can consistently be kept along your lifeline) for a while before going back to a grip, use a finger sling, focus on a relaxed hand just before expanding to release ... easy to write not so easy to master - hope that's of some use - M

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Before I place an arrow on the string I let my arm go slack an let the bow hang loosely off the sling for a second.
My sling is a small dog collar that is not connected to the bow,it just wraps around the riser.
All I do then is bounce the bow into my hand an lightly close it.
That puts the bow in exactly the same place every time.
If I then come to full draw and I haven't got it right, I instantly know by how the bow sits in my now open hand.
Get it wrong,,,,,,let down and reset.

Funny thing is that people that see me do this every time think I'm checking my feet as I look down, because I can't feel them properly due to nerve damage in my back and I've told people I'm checking my foot position every time, which I do at the same time.

John.

·
8,511 Posts
Have you seen this gizmo.....

True Shot Coach from Don't Choke Archery.

Reactions: aroadik

·
8,511 Posts
Pete, no I haven't.

Reactions: aroadik

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how much compound grips have evolved but single string grips are stuck in the age of rounded of 2x4s.
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that with a compound, one is holding a fraction of the draw weight at full draw and with a recurve you have it all?

Although, there are some guys on here that remove the grip and apply a layer of grip tape.

·
Spearhead
3,335 Posts
Grey has the right idea, but without the squishy ball? Knuckles at a 45 degree angle for me, I agree the jäger grip gets my hand where it's supposed to be.

Chad

·
Registered
116 Posts
For us longbow shooters who can't really use a sling, I wonder if a small O-ring on the back side of the riser would help as a "locator" for the index finger? I don't want a full grip, but I can't shoot open handed without losing the bow. This way, I can curl my fingers around the grip and get the same position every time.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
For us longbow shooters who can't really use a sling, I wonder if a small O-ring on the back side of the riser would help as a "locator" for the index finger? I don't want a full grip, but I can't shoot open handed without losing the bow. This way, I can curl my fingers around the grip and get the same position every time.
I always used a finger sling with a Flatbow. Maybe not with an ELB but certainly with an AFB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is there a single point on the grip that you can feel every time you start to draw? Might help to create muscle memory for where the grip should always be.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Perhaps I am an exception, but I have never had consistency problems.

I come almost to full draw with the heel of my palm on the grip.

Last inch or so, I go full high wrist, with the wrist locked and the grip sitting between my extended thumb and index finger.

Impossible to torque bow with a locked wrist and the grip sitting in a "V"

Other advantage (for me), is I get more than a full inch of extra draw length.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts