Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to now fishing but got the gear to give it a whirl. Does anyone have any recomendations as to where one would go in southern NY or CT or even northern NJ and eastern PA that they would be willing to share? As I said I am a noob to fishing with a bow but want to try it out badly.
Thanks in advance,
Don

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I'm right there with you, have the gear but don't really know where to go. I've been reading and as JP mentioned night is better since the fish aren't as spooky. In the daytime, they say to wear camo and do more standing then walking. Also at night fish will move into shallower water. A good light is a must, some are bow mounted and some use **** hunter lights(hat with battery belt). Some even drag a light and car battery, that wouldn't be fun. But spray would be a good idea as well. I was thinking about going up to saginaw bay here in Michigan and wading the big sand flats around the cattails.
What bow/reel are you using?
Check out bow.fishingcountry.com
Also do a search on bowfishing and your state or county and see what pops up.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
If you guys are like me and don't have a working boat....I'd suggest trying any shallow rivers. I don't know what legal fish you all have to shoot up that way, but being able to see your quarry is pretty important :) LOL!! Bowfishing is a hoot!!! More action than deer season....or at least where I hunt....and it gets you out in nature when you might not be so inclined to be out. Lots of good times for sure!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys i can't wait to get out there I just don't know where I can or can't and where would be afoot place to start. I have all the gear and am ready but now I need a push in the right direction

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 1shot I am Westchester based but have a cabin in the catskills. I pass that river all the time on my way there... Are there specific access points I should check out along the way? Do I need a boat?

·
Registered
245 Posts
No boat needed, use River Road as access, west side of the river, Below the dam in Wallkill, NY... or east side of the river heading north toward the Prison from the town of WallKill, park just short of the dump, there is an island and you can just stalk around that island all day, it real shallow on the road side, deeper on the main river side...
There are small, (one or two vehicles can park) pull-outs all along the road from Wallkill, Ny to New Paltz, Ny...
Wear good fishing/polorised lens sunglasses, aim lower then what you see, refraction makes fish seem higher in the water, stalk easy and slow... Enjoy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts