Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took off my quiver full of arrows. I had no issue with it except that in switching from split to 3 under, I picked up alot of vibration. I tried to ignore it, but in the end, it had to go. What I quickly noticed is that my bow arm was not as steady. Turns out that the mass weight of the quiver was acting as a sort of stabilizer. Now shooting without it, I am pondering.... Since I can't shoot a stabilizer.... Hmmm, I can see where a heavy riser would work to some degree. Wonder if a bowyer would intentionally build a heavy riser? Wonder how to accomplish this.... or if it would actually have much effect? LOL, wonder if a brass wristband would work? Thoughts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I don't use bow quivers very often, they just upset the balance of the bow to much for me.

The Titan riser has provision to add internal weights in the limb pockets, but I'll use a short stabiliser first because I believe I can get the same balance and stability with less weight like that.

A simple drill,tap or insert and you could place Titan weights anywhere on your riser you chose to.

John.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A solid phenolic riser will be noticeably heavier than a wood one. Try Bob Morrison. However there may be something amiss with your form to allow excessive movement with any bow.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I usually hunt with a bow mounted quiver and usually have to practice with it for a good month or so before the season opens as it throws off my balance enough to affect my shooting.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Why can't you shoot with a stab?

-Grant

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Our local clubs don't allow stabilizers but the ASA shoots do...

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
I shoot with a quiver on my bow

What are you shooting that it got that much more vibes going 3 under ?

I like the weight of a quiver

As for dense heavier risers Reds summed it up

An all phenolic or partial phenolic mixed with a dense hardwood will give you the deadest riser

All Phenolic Morrison

Half Phenolic Black Magic

But I still need a quiver on my bow

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I shoot with a quiver on my bow

What are you shooting that it got that much more vibes going 3 under ?

I like the weight of a quiver

As for dense heavier risers Reds summed it up

An all phenolic or partial phenolic mixed with a dense hardwood will give you the deadest riser

All Phenolic Morrison

Half Phenolic Black Magic

But I still need a quiver on my bow
What does this mean?
An all phenolic or partial phenolic

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
the bow pictured looks to be phenolic on the back of the bow including two lams in the feature stripes and the belly side of the riser is a dense hardwood. i think cocobolo in this case. that makes it a partial phenolic riser.

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
Larry is correct

The Morrison is all phenolic

Phenolics are used in many aspects of archery

From limb tips to other parts of the bow

They are a fabric like canvas or linen etc. layed up in a resin that makes a very durable dense material

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
What about encorporating some resilience into the quiver mount? Wouldn't take much to isolate the mass and actually turn the whole quiver into a vibration damper.

If you really want to PO the local boys then look into the California quiver that guys were running in the NFAA before stabs were allowed.

-Grant

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry is correct

The Morrison is all phenolic

Phenolics are used in many aspects of archery

From limb tips to other parts of the bow

They are a fabric like canvas or linen etc. layed up in a resin that makes a very durable dense material
So, the phenolic is heavy compared to wood?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the phenolic is actually a layered material formed with heat, pressure, paper or linen, and phenolic resin...please correct me if I am wrong on this. I found an average density of 0.065 lbs/cubic inch, which comes to about 112.3 lbs/cubic foot.

Compare that to the heaviest hardwoods: Snakewood is about 81 lbs/cubic foot, Gaboon ebony is about 80 lbs/cubic foot, and most common riser woods are significantly lower.

I like a heavy bow. I have two recurves that are identical in length, draw weight, and woods used. The only difference is one is a takedown and the other is a one-piece. The TD is significantly heavier from the large riser and the added weight of the limb bolts. In my opinion the TD is definitely "better" from a purely shooting perspective, but the one-piece is sleeker and oozes class. I'm not sure which one I like better.

In general I prefer a heavy bow for serious shooting, but the TD I mentioned above with a bow quiver and four or five arrows becomes a real load. Shoots fabulously though, all that mass soaks up a lot of energy.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Phenolic comes in quite a few varieties but the main ones are paper, cotton or canvas and generally it's laminated with polyesther resin. It's very heavy stuff but actually not as rigid as some hardwoods.
There are some new products such as G10 which are actually epoxy and glassfiber which are extremely strong but even more expensive. It's basically a solid chunk of the S2 glass which is used to build the best glass powered limbs.

If I was going to get a wood bow built I'd have the riser made primarily from Ipe:
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/ipe/
It's density is 0.91 and it may be the strongest wood in the world. I'd have the riser built with a few strips of black S2 glass or carbon if the bowyer was capable of doing it.
Added bonus is that it's fairly cheap, not endangered and I personally like the look.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
There are many different types of phenolics

My favorite especially for knife handles in Linen

I find its pattern the most attractive

Different types of Micarta with different types of finishes

·
Premium Member
4,963 Posts
The one in the middle is carbon fiber

Here is a bow riser and a slingshot

As you can see I am a big fan of it on hard use items

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
??? I have never hunted when I bow quiver would be more convenient the a side strap quiver. In fact most of the places I hunt if you went in with a bow quiver you would come out with no arrows.

I had much rather control the balance and weight of my bow weights

1 - 20 of 45 Posts