Trad Talk Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I bought my sets to gain a competitive advantage based on performance promised by the bowyer and in that capacity they were complete failures.

There are other limbs which can drive heavy arrows at medium speed without also having the durability, tuning, ease of use and warranty problems you get with Border.

There, I made it unambiguous.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've had Border limbs from Hex 5 to Hex 7.5s, I also am currently shooting a set of CV-W, and had a Covert Hunter with Hex 7.5s. I have never had an issue, I like what I get for performance and can live with the minor cons (limb vibration, string material suggestion, difference in tuning process). It's all pros and cons, give and take, and with that said I've been happy with the Border products that I've worked with.

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Border Archery experience has been completely positive. I love my Hex 7.5's and they have been problem free and have seen much (sometimes daily) use over the past 5 years. I've considered "upgrade" to Border's newest offering but find I have absolutely no reason to do so, still seriously pleased with these limbs.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I am a drinker of the Border Kool-aid.
Kasey's comments are right on the mark. The front end of the draw loads quickly and is different until you shoot them a bit. The last few inches of draw see little gain and in some cases, you actually have a slight draw weight reduction.
Borders are carefully, and thoroughly, engineered. Just follow their guidelines so far as matching riser/limb length combo to your draw length. Likewise for brace height, string materials, and arrow weight. Performance and draw cycle cannot be beat.
Sid Sr answers inquiries. He gets 60-80 emails a day. Covid restrictions in the UK have played havoc with production due to social distancing of work stations. Last I hreard there was only Sid Sr and Ann in the office with Sid jr and another worker in the productin area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Keep this thread on track. It’d be nice to have at least one Border thread not get derailed by emotions.
I agree totally, someone locked and deleted this thread on archery talk. I clearly stated in the original post to share your personal experience with out being mean. We need good information in the USA for me and other guys who are rapidly coming into the sport. I want to know all the aspects of a product from real world consumers before I spend 1700-2000.00 on a bow to find out I may or may not get a quality product. I believe some folks have had experiences but are afraid to share them due to others mocking them or starting an argument with them, this should not be the case.

I work hard like most of you for my money, I have always been one to deal with companies that offer excellent customer service prior to purchase, during the purchase, after the purchase, and throughout the life of the product. I also do not want to spend money on any product that will give me tons of trouble even if the customer service is good. There has to be a balance in all aspects of things for me to willing to invest.

I do want to thank everyone who has taken the time to share your experience so far, and for you who may try derailing this thread or are looking to cause trouble, I graciously ask that you will move on. I want real world in hand, personal experiences that you have had within the last 5 years. The reason I choose 5 years is because when i shot compound bows, Bowtech Archery had a couple years of catastrophic limb failure that I never experienced, however the company addressed the issue and in my opinion their Revolt X is one of the finest shooting bows they have made. All companies have struggles, it’s how they handle those struggles the separates the good from the bad.

Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I also want to add, I shoot d97 strings. I have not found better for my needs, nor do I need anything better for my needs. If it is built properly they work amazing. TTT custom strings builds all my strings for me, I do not want any bow that I cannot shoot his strings on, that is how much confidence I have in the strings. I also shoot 45-48 lbs at my 29.5” draw. I also shoot a 600-615 grain arrow. I am purely a hunter. So shooting d97, and shooting a heavy arrow is things that I am not going to change, it works and I will not change this for any bowyer, if they do not like those things then I am totally out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will admit I have gone through many bows in the past and what I shoot now is not a Border. But I have owned a couple of Black Douglas recurves and a longbow, forget the model. Each bow performed extremely well but I moved on for other reasons. I will add I had an issue with one of their longbows that they admitted having a design stress point, they were excellent to work with and I appreciated their response to my problem and their honesty in acknowledging the issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I read you stated being purely a hunter. Depending on what type of hunting you do you will experience most of only the cons as those limbs can’t handle limb edge hits and you will get splinters on the edge and then a really high odd of a blowing limbs. Those limbs don’´t handle very much hard use. I mean if you have to put them in a canoe, or in a truck or ATV against hard gear like tree stand or a horse to a remote place or hunting Africa etc... , or walk steep rocky terrain where limb edge might hit a rock or hard wood and so. You will have to take a particular care to avoid hitting anything.
If you hunt in cold places with 45-50+# SR the early load in the draw cycle will make you feel the bow much stiffer to draw particularly if you have to draw very slowly or stop your draw in the middle of draw cycle and then finish the draw for any reason.(game looking up, unexpected move etc...) 90% of the poundage is reached at 22 inches of DL. That means up to 22 “ you will fell a 50# SR being as hard to pull than a 60-65# conventional design. The back end “smoothness” appears only ... at the back end
All terrain all conditions reliability trumps extreme speed all the time when hard bowhunting

·
finger shooter
3,341 Posts
Hello guys, I am here here but not new to archery talk. I wanted to posted this here hoping to gain more responses.

I hope each and everyone of you are doing well. Many who know and have read some of my previous post know that I have tried allot of bows, high end custom bows, both long bows and recurves. I have shot conventional system recurves for awhile until I found the “ILF” way and Uukha limbs. I am currently shooting CD archery WF-19 riser with the low jagar grip and the Uukha SX+ medium 38 lb limbs. I absolutely love the bow, I will actually be hunting with this setup this year and will spend the rest of the summer micro tuning everything.

However me being one to like to try other things out there, as I would have never found what I have today without trying. I am interested in trying the tempest riser with a set of cv9 limbs. I had previously thought about getting a covert hunter however I just don’t want to run into tiller, or grip issues, when I can change both of these with the ILF setup with the tempest and cv9 limbs. If I like the tempest riser and not the cv9 limbs I can sale the limbs, if I don’t like the grip I can get another grip.... you know the story.

Anyways my concern is Border being in Scotland and me being in the South Eastern USA. I have went back and forth with Sid via email, and we now have reached the point of the order after many email exchanges. I despise emailing to work out something as significant and as expensive as a custom bow order. I am so use to calling the bowyer on the phone and speaking with them in person and getting it all dialed in that away.

After all the ramble I do not want to see people be mean to one another, I do not want to see anyone arguing on here. If you do not like what one person types as their response and personal experience with Border Archery then keep scrolling and share your opinion. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly with Border archery. I am about to spend allot of money not only on a bow for myself but for a bow for my good friend who is new into archery and is interested as well. I am the PR man here so I am trying to make the best decision for the two of us. He is currently shooting the exact setup as me and we have allot of the same taste in bows as far as finish, fit, and feel.

Please share with me your personal experience with Border Archery in the last 5 years, I would really like to hear only responses within the last 5 years. Remember personal, not your buddies or your seventh cousin, or your friend on another forum.

“YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH BORDER ARCHERY WITHIN LAST 5 YEARS!”
👇
Bad and ugly but more than 5 years and the ptsd from those limbs is subsiding. Dealing with Sid hasn’t faded yet.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I agree totally, someone locked and deleted this thread on archery talk. I clearly stated in the original post to share your personal experience with out being mean. We need good information in the USA for me and other guys who are rapidly coming into the sport. I want to know all the aspects of a product from real world consumers before I spend 1700-2000.00 on a bow to find out I may or may not get a quality product. I believe some folks have had experiences but are afraid to share them due to others mocking them or starting an argument with them, this should not be the case.

I work hard like most of you for my money, I have always been one to deal with companies that offer excellent customer service prior to purchase, during the purchase, after the purchase, and throughout the life of the product. I also do not want to spend money on any product that will give me tons of trouble even if the customer service is good. There has to be a balance in all aspects of things for me to willing to invest.

I do want to thank everyone who has taken the time to share your experience so far, and for you who may try derailing this thread or are looking to cause trouble, I graciously ask that you will move on. I want real world in hand, personal experiences that you have had within the last 5 years. The reason I choose 5 years is because when i shot compound bows, Bowtech Archery had a couple years of catastrophic limb failure that I never experienced, however the company addressed the issue and in my opinion their Revolt X is one of the finest shooting bows they have made. All companies have struggles, it’s how they handle those struggles the separates the good from the bad.

Thank you!
It is true. Those that know me personally or thru correspondence, know who you are.
I do fully believe there are unhappy folks and they do not want to speak publicly.
My original post was short and sweet for this reason.

This usually leads to division and
there's always talk of failures in all makes.
There's no way to know the numbers respectively that I can think of so speculation prevails. I hear in race cars they hop them up so much they rebuild them often or some after every race.
Performance comes at a cost and risk.
I feel like this topic is for the OP to make an informed decision with respect to spending a large sum of money.

Some of the reason carbon bows took so long to arrive is the failure rate of exposed carbon and adhesion issues. With the new weaves and prepreg not as much but..

To summarize, you may love them but know what you have been told above,
Strings, brace height, arrow weight to name a few are to be considered for these limbs.

I have spent my money and never tried the 7s. I hear people like them alot.

My brother I would tell to find some 6s or 7s.

Good luck.

·
Novice
161 Posts
I don't have a Border bow. I did a lot of research and liked the reviews and the way they were described.
But then I tried to buy one via email. No one at the border end seemed to be listening to what I had to say. The longer it went on, the worse it got. Finally, they told me that I probably should not buy a bow from them. I agreed, it seems like we were not communicating.

So for me, pretty miserable to work with, and they probably say the same about me. They have enough business that they don't care about one more custom order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't have a Border bow. I did a lot of research and liked the reviews and the way they were described.
But then I tried to buy one via email. No one at the border end seemed to be listening to what I had to say. The longer it went on, the worse it got. Finally, they told me that I probably should not buy a bow from them. I agreed, it seems like we were not communicating.

So for me, pretty miserable to work with, and they probably say the same about me. They have enough business that they don't care about one more custom order.
Exactly where I am at now, it just gets worse the longer it goes on, one email after another and the more we email the more confused I believe I become. It’s like trying to learn Spanish reading the broken emails.

·
ryan brodrick
2,130 Posts
Half a dozen pairs of limbs. Still shooting some hex 5woods (10 years old). No failures. Friends that I sold the newer limbs (hex 6.5 and cvw) to are still shooting them.

Reactions: Bent_Limb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Going on about a month of emails now, thought we were to the place of ordering. Numerous phone calls with no answer that cost me 1.79+ per minute and even each call there cost whether they answer or not. Before anyone starts saying their is a time difference, yes I understand this. I do not think that border archery works 3rd shift. I’ve been calling during normal business hours for them.

I finally recurve another Email after finalizing the order and making sure everything is good and this is what is says. “Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding” I do not understand how these folks stay in business, never has all my questions been fully answered, here I was about to drop a pile of money on a bow setup, it’s ridiculous.

Here is the things I’ve learned so far.

1. Communication to someone via email only, who evidently doesn’t take the time to read the email response you send, then take time to respond to it is an issue.

2. Border measures their limbs all the way out on the tiller bolts as far as weight goes. So if you tell them you want [email protected]” cv9 limbs this is all the way out, they do not know how to tell you where max limb Weight is at on their tempest riser, nor do they know what this weight will be. If I am ordering a custom bow setup from the bowyer, I want to know what the weight is going to be at the best performing place on that riser.

3. I began communicating about what I would like, and have spoke about numerous different options from the tempest with cv9 to the covert hunter with Hex9 and I then get an order form to send half the money. We have never committed to nothing, and not all my of questions have ever been answered.

4. I’ve received countless of personal messages on both forums from previous customers, sharing their emails, their order chaos, their missed weight limbs, their broken limbs, their the messages, etc. something is going on with this outfit and I am glad I’ve done my home work. I also had my original thread froze in the archery talk forum. I’ve heard that some of the mods of these forums get free stuff from the borders or discounts to remove any information that is true but yet they don’t want anyone to know.

5. This is the final step, I have personally after a month or so now dealing with Border Archery via email and never reaching a place of true confidence not getting all of my questions answered have decided to move on. I would love to try the tempest riser, but I believe it’s best to move on.

i hope this thread is never closed, blocked, or deleted. I have spoke my personal on going issues with Border Archery here. They may be the greatest bow ever, however I don’t have time to deal with broken communication and terrible customer service spending a premium price. Grandpa always said: “Treat people right, do good work, stand behind it, and no one can ever fault you.”

When 70 percent of folks who have owned border bows have had issues with limbs snapping, terrible customer service, build time delays, terrible communication. It tells me this company is not living up to my grandpa’s moto, who built an empire of a business known all over the country!

God Bless each of you, I hope that you have a more pleasant and better experience dealing with Border Archery, I hope Border Archery will read this and take some time to think about how they can improve what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
12,145 Posts
good luck to you in your next choices. I buy all my stuff used off the ads, not new price and I don't have to deal with companies. if it doesn't fit, I sell it on.

Reactions: Bent_Limb

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Thank you to everyone who has posted, and thank you to everyone who was afraid to post their terrible experiences via public but sent me private messages, text messages, and phone call. It is so sad to see so many of you had to go through such a terrible time.

I will say that Sid did contact me today via phone and left a voicemail, only after reading this forum. I had asked him for a month to call me, only after exposing the truths did he call.

Thank you to everyone!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts