Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am here here but not new to archery talk. I wanted to posted this here hoping to gain more responses.

I hope each and everyone of you are doing well. Many who know and have read some of my previous post know that I have tried allot of bows, high end custom bows, both long bows and recurves. I have shot conventional system recurves for awhile until I found the “ILF” way and Uukha limbs. I am currently shooting CD archery WF-19 riser with the low jagar grip and the Uukha SX+ medium 38 lb limbs. I absolutely love the bow, I will actually be hunting with this setup this year and will spend the rest of the summer micro tuning everything.

However me being one to like to try other things out there, as I would have never found what I have today without trying. I am interested in trying the tempest riser with a set of cv9 limbs. I had previously thought about getting a covert hunter however I just don’t want to run into tiller, or grip issues, when I can change both of these with the ILF setup with the tempest and cv9 limbs. If I like the tempest riser and not the cv9 limbs I can sale the limbs, if I don’t like the grip I can get another grip.... you know the story.

Anyways my concern is Border being in Scotland and me being in the South Eastern USA. I have went back and forth with Sid via email, and we now have reached the point of the order after many email exchanges. I despise emailing to work out something as significant and as expensive as a custom bow order. I am so use to calling the bowyer on the phone and speaking with them in person and getting it all dialed in that away.

After all the ramble I do not want to see people be mean to one another, I do not want to see anyone arguing on here. If you do not like what one person types as their response and personal experience with Border Archery then keep scrolling and share your opinion. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly with Border archery. I am about to spend allot of money not only on a bow for myself but for a bow for my good friend who is new into archery and is interested as well. I am the PR man here so I am trying to make the best decision for the two of us. He is currently shooting the exact setup as me and we have allot of the same taste in bows as far as finish, fit, and feel.

Please share with me your personal experience with Border Archery in the last 5 years, I would really like to hear only responses within the last 5 years. Remember personal, not your buddies or your seventh cousin, or your friend on another forum.

“YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH BORDER ARCHERY WITHIN LAST 5 YEARS!”
👇

·
Spearhead
3,379 Posts
I’ve been shooting border products since hex5 limbs.
Even tho I don’t have any of the latest and greatest limbs I am very happy with my hex 6- 6.5- 2 pair of 6.6- 7.5 and an early tempest riser.
Even tho I don’t shoot border products exclusively I do enjoy their products and how they push the limits of the norm.

Chad

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyways my concern is Border being in Scotland and me being in the South Eastern USA. I have went back and forth with Sid via email, and we now have reached the point of the order after many email exchanges. I despise emailing to work out something as significant and as expensive as a custom bow order. I am so use to calling the bowyer on the phone and speaking with them in person and getting it all dialed in that away.
You can always give them a call: +44 1573 410 295; they're only five hours ahead of you so timezone should be fairly easy to work around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How do you dial this on a phone. I have tried and it want process it right on my cell phone.
You're in luck if you're using a cell phone. The + in the number is international shorthand for "whatever your country uses to dial international", which on any cell phone automatically gets interpreted correctly.

In your case you can open up your cell phone and dial:

+441573410295

Including the plus character, it'll work. If you look at this very website on a smartphone and click that number you may well find it dials automatically actually.

Come back if you have trouble. I'm happy to try to break down barriers of communication. 🙂

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I've been shooting Border since Hex 7.5's came out. Got on the Tempest 21 list before it went into production and also have a set of 8's. I've looked at a CH years and years ago, but could not get a low grip built, so I never ordered one. In the past I've had some very rough dealings with some bowyers, but not so with Border. I've always been treated fairly and consider Sid SR a friend even though we've never personally met.

Bowmania

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have gex6 bb2s. My favorite.

I have 7.2s. For sale that is. Not my favorite.. to be fair its the loud sound on these I can't deal with. I shoot over 10gpp. It a personal thing I guess.

I did have a splinter raise on one limb with less than 300 shots.
A first for me. I sanded and glued the limb. Its holding.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I’ve been dealing with Border going on around 8-9 years now a lot . Sid has become a good friend and I actually talk to him more now about every day life than bows it seems but still get quite a bit of product from them . It’s crazy I can order limbs or whatever from them and have it within 3 days . Some places in US take 2 weeks lol
I myself am a big ILF fan but can shoot their Covert hunter as good as anything . Never had any tuning issues but have learned spine wise what they like from years of playing with them . You can call him with number above and you’ll think your talking to Sean Connery but it’s Sid . Lol

·
Super Moderator
703 Posts
Make sure you do your research and see all the requirements for shooting Border limbs. There are restrictions on the string material, arrow weight, brace height, and stringer that they want you to follow. I bought two sets of limbs from them and only knew about these restrictions from going on archery forums and seeing posts from Sid. Nothing came in the box with these limbs, but maybe it was because they were in-stock limbs.

The pair I used as my primary limbs shot great and I had no trouble tuning them, but they eventually blew up on me at full draw. I emailed Border and the response I got was less than stellar so I went in another direction.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i have a set cv -52lbs ,hex 7.5 -48 lbs , cv9h 42lbs , cvx40 lbs and a 60 lb set of hex 7's love them all. i did have a covert hunter blow up on me but it was 2nd hand so i don't know how it was treated before i bought it. shit happens. had 2 sets of hoyts blow up on me so no big deal. sid is also great at answering my questions via email.
i also bought a 25'' tempest love it

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Why not just pick up the phone and speak to Sid?

Reactions: Bent_Limb

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sir I called numerous times which would have been 1 and 3:00 their time, the person above mentioned to call and told me how. I called no response.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are a great company and build great products. I've called them before and spoke with Sid Sr and he was very helpful. Make sure to enter the + when you dial the number. I'm hunting with a Tempest paired with CV9 37#@27, love it. 19 inch riser with medium limbs.
IMG_0564-1.jpg

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
I've had a number of their limbs and won't buy another unless I want to drive a very heavy arrow at medium speed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used hex 6.5 black Douglas a lot for bowhunting and owned up to 3 BD and 4 limb sets, all above 60# at my DL. i really loved those rigs and got so many animals with it from rabbit to water buffalo. I should have ordered a couple of extra set in the lower poundage I use now back then.
Then the SR era came with the 7 gen and above, and with it the bad and the ugly for my expectations. No more Border bows for me but still keep a 60# HEX6.5 I shoot from time to time to keep a "heavy" bow practise.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just use the search function.

Asking people to rehash 10+ years of an argument doesnt seem great.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
This is kind of funny and I wonder if anyone else had the same experience. I read Grantmac's statement, 'I've had a number of their limbs and won't buy another unless I want to drive a very heavy arrow at medium speed.'

My first though was that's rather negative. Then I read it again and thought, maybe it's due to the use of the word medium as opposed to average??? Now my thoughts turned around to a VERY positive statement, more along the lines of my experience.

I've found that with my 7.5's and 8's will shoot about the same speed with around 15 grains per pound as a conventional recurve with 10 gpp.

I'd been dropping down in weight for 15 plus years due to shoulder issues when I got my Hex 7.5's. I knew what the longbow (50 at 29) could do. I was planning for a hunt, so I thought I'd compare foot/pounds of energy to get an idea of performance. I dropped 11 pound on the 7.5's and gained 6 foot/pounds of energy over the 50 pound longbow. That's not scientific where you change only one variable. It's tuned arrow to tuned arrow.

That's pretty impressive and it gave me a lot of confidence for that hunt.

Bowmania

1 - 20 of 49 Posts