Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling particularly grumpy tonight, and feel the need to share some war stories about crossing the border into Canada. Now I don't want to offend my Canadian friends, and nearly all that I have met have been wonderful, friendly people. I do have to throw in one bad American for good measure though. Now I think that I look like the old grandfatherly type, but apparently not to the guards. Now to crossings gone bad.

Story #1. Wife and I are driving a mini van and pulled up to the gate, which was attended by a young lady in her 20's. Here's how it went. Her: Pull off those sun glasses! Me: Sorry ma'am. Her: what business have you in Canada? Me: Oh just going over to Lethbridge to see the sights, then back to the U.S. today. Her: Do you have any weapons? No, I left them back in Montana, nothing illegal in the vehicle. Her: Pull over there now! She motioned to a parking area. I said why? She said Pull Over There Now! I said OK and complied. Two more guards came boiling out of the guard shack and proceeded to take the van apart. I said what are you looking for? No reply. They took it apart! Not a word spoken. Finally when they came to her dirty undergarments in the laundry bag, I blew up and told them to stop now, and just what in the hell were they looking for? They apologized and told me I was free to go, that they were looking for weapons. Apparently the young lady was having a bad day and reported me. I left mad to say the least. When I came back to the U.S. the American guard asked the usual questions and told me to have a nice day.

Story #2. Different crossing. Left the U.S. and into the area I call no man's land, as the guard shacks between the U.S. and Canada were about 100 yards apart. Started up to the Canadian gate, which had a line of cars, and decided I had better back up and move over to the restroom facilities. I figured I would be held up a bit, and needed to use the facilities. Well, I started to back up, and here they came reaching for their weapons. They were motioning for me to come forward, and looked quite serious about it. So, I pulled up, and the guard asked just what in the hell I thought I was doing? I told him, and he said well you don't pull up to our border then turn around. Looks to us like you are trying to hide something. Bad deal. I said no sir, just wanted to use the restroom. He said well you can wait until I tell you, you can leave. OK sir. The guards inside were looking, pointing and laughing. Didn't do much for my mood. Anyway, he finally wave me on through. Coming back to the U.S. no problem. Usual questions and waved me on through.

Story #3. Crossed over at Niagra Falls. Canadian guard very nice, waved me on through after usual questions. Coming back, U.S. guard comes out with his clipboard and a very serious look on his face. Little runt of a man with glasses on, and a bad attitude. Asked me the same questions three or four times, trying to trip me up. Wanted to search my truck. I told him I was an American citizen, and had been over in Canada looking at the Falls. He kept asking the same questions, plus where I was staying, location, name of the hotel, how long I had been there, when I was leaving, etc. I thought he wasn't gonna let me back in! Finally, I guess he figured out that my wife, ladyfriend and I were not ax murderers from Canada, trying to slip into to the U.S.

I crossed over into Mexico, shopped and came back with virtually no questions asked. Just something about the U.S. and Canada I guess, or maybe I have the look of a criminal.

·
Space For Sale
229 Posts
Seems weird John, just completely backwards. Seems like the guys who look like the bad guys don't get harassed because security is told they are not supposed to profile. Seems like the wrong people sometimes get singled out. You must look so innocent that you must fit the "new" definition of suspicious. Next time camo your face and wear military garb and they will probably wave you right through. Traveling can be hard and dangerous these days. Plenty of "Risk" taken when leaving home. At least you made it back safe. :)

P.S.--Next time you go on a trip try flying. At least that way once the pat down is done you won't have to go to the doctor for another exam---it's already done. :)

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
As a kind of neutral who crosses the border regularly, my experience is that the USA guards are way friendlier than the Canadians. There are always exceptions but in general that's what I found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I'm feeling particularly grumpy tonight, and feel the need to share some war stories about crossing the border into Canada. Now I don't want to offend my Canadian friends, and nearly all that I have met have been wonderful, friendly people. I do have to throw in one bad American for good measure though. Now I think that I look like the old grandfatherly type, but apparently not to the guards. Now to crossings gone bad.

Story #1. Wife and I are driving a mini van and pulled up to the gate, which was attended by a young lady in her 20's. Here's how it went. Her: Pull off those sun glasses! Me: Sorry ma'am. Her: what business have you in Canada? Me: Oh just going over to Lethbridge to see the sights, then back to the U.S. today. Her: Do you have any weapons? No, I left them back in Montana, nothing illegal in the vehicle. Her: Pull over there now! She motioned to a parking area. I said why? She said Pull Over There Now! I said OK and complied. Two more guards came boiling out of the guard shack and proceeded to take the van apart. I said what are you looking for? No reply. They took it apart! Not a word spoken. Finally when they came to her dirty undergarments in the laundry bag, I blew up and told them to stop now, and just what in the hell were they looking for? They apologized and told me I was free to go, that they were looking for weapons. Apparently the young lady was having a bad day and reported me. I left mad to say the least. When I came back to the U.S. the American guard asked the usual questions and told me to have a nice day.

Story #2. Different crossing. Left the U.S. and into the area I call no man's land, as the guard shacks between the U.S. and Canada were about 100 yards apart. Started up to the Canadian gate, which had a line of cars, and decided I had better back up and move over to the restroom facilities. I figured I would be held up a bit, and needed to use the facilities. Well, I started to back up, and here they came reaching for their weapons. They were motioning for me to come forward, and looked quite serious about it. So, I pulled up, and the guard asked just what in the hell I thought I was doing? I told him, and he said well you don't pull up to our border then turn around. Looks to us like you are trying to hide something. Bad deal. I said no sir, just wanted to use the restroom. He said well you can wait until I tell you, you can leave. OK sir. The guards inside were looking, pointing and laughing. Didn't do much for my mood. Anyway, he finally wave me on through. Coming back to the U.S. no problem. Usual questions and waved me on through.

Story #3. Crossed over at Niagra Falls. Canadian guard very nice, waved me on through after usual questions. Coming back, U.S. guard comes out with his clipboard and a very serious look on his face. Little runt of a man with glasses on, and a bad attitude. Asked me the same questions three or four times, trying to trip me up. Wanted to search my truck. I told him I was an American citizen, and had been over in Canada looking at the Falls. He kept asking the same questions, plus where I was staying, location, name of the hotel, how long I had been there, when I was leaving, etc. I thought he wasn't gonna let me back in! Finally, I guess he figured out that my wife, ladyfriend and I were not ax murderers from Canada, trying to slip into to the U.S.

I crossed over into Mexico, shopped and came back with virtually no questions asked. Just something about the U.S. and Canada I guess, or maybe I have the look of a criminal.
Been there, done that... We'll never go back to Canada...
I've travelled to a dozen different Countries and have never encountered rudeness like I did at the Canadian border.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
2010 worlds in Germany we drove through Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czech republic and German borders and were never stopped once.

They have Border patrol and customs but we were never actually stopped or asked for papers etc, just drove through.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
If you would would stop using that cherry red lipstick when you wear your kilt and pink shirt, you won't get that crap

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
I hear your pain John...it can be hit and miss on both sides. I think mostly they are BORED because there isn't anything to find.

Others wanted to be police or swat and couldn't make the grade maybe and now are just trying to seem important (they aren't - just ppl like us really) well until they put that gear on and strap on the holsters.

Seven...hmmm that seems a bit harsh.....jer

·
Registered
677 Posts
Try a border crossing in kyrgyzstan or Turkey :)

Just add some A's on the way into Canads and they wave ya thru :)
Border crossings oversea`s have a way of testing my deodorant.:p

I have crossed into Canada literally hundreds of times, mainly on business, but when I cross on hunting trips I plan on being there for a while. There is something about a pickup truck pulling a big enclosed trailer that gets those Canadian guards excitable. ;)

Having bear hunted in Canada more than a few times, I have returned more than once hauling a tagged/registered bear of friends who flew in, and flew back out. Never had a problem checking their bear through into the US, until about 4-5 years ago. While leaving camp in Quebec I met two young Americans who were in another camp of the outfitter I hunted with. They were from Detroit, and in a hurry to get back to return to college classes. Their Ford Explorer`s transmission gave up the ghost a few miles out of camp, leaving the two really nice youngsters on foot, broke, and having no way home. Detroit was a long, long way out of my way, but I could not leave them stranded. We loaded up their belongings, including a canoe, and headed for the Windsor crossing instead of my usual route across the Thousand Island bridge towards Syracuse. When we got to the Windsor crossing, I declared a bear I shot, plus a bear that a friend of mine from Florida shot. Once inside US Customs, the agent told me I needed a Cites permit for my friends bear since he was not present. I was SURE that he was mistaken, and calmly waited for him to call US Fish & Wildlife. Thirty minutes after he left a message for that agency, he summoned me back to the counter, told me that he knew I was in violation, but since US F&W had not returned his call that he was letting me go…without the two bear. If I wanted the bear, I could return the next morning and he would have US F&W meet me.

The next morning, after taking the kids and their belongings home, I went back to the border and met with Fish & Wildlife officers. It was a short meeting. About two hours after the meeting started, I was in a hotel in Detroit, after leaving my brand new crew cab diesel powered Silverado LTZ, an enclosed trailer, 4 ATV`s, treestands, fishing rods, and 3 professional video cameras with all the junk that goes with them at the border. Oh, and they still had the two bear. The phone call to my wife that day was not an easy one to make.:p

Two days later after putting a local taxi-cab driver into a new tax bracket hauling me from one meeting to the next, I finally convinced everybody that I was not trying to violate an obscure law that nobody had ever heard of before.

I left for home that day with all my stuff, but if anybody wants to go bear hunting with me in the future, you can bring your own bear home. :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not a thing to do about Canada or even Mexico for that matter, but there are many areas along our southern Border where you will be subject to BP questioning/overwatch/drones while even 100's of miles from the Border...
Driving down certain roads will get you stopped...
Hunting/scouting in some areas will get you stopped...
Hill-tops have Military STA units, BP overwatch(manned or remote cameras) or cartel "bird-dogs" on the peaks...
I support the BP and respect their thank-less Job...
( I was pulled aside for "more intense screening" two of the last 3 trips to Belize last year, guess I have that "look"...)

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Two decades ago crossing the border into Northern Ireland would have been similar to 1shot's description. Thankfully, it's nearly a matter of history now. If only we could bring back those needlessly dead.

Reactions: aroadik

·
Registered
388 Posts
thanks for the information. I have for years wanted to visit some of the storied waterfowl hunting locations in Canada but have not gone due to their firearm registration and fee requirements. I was weakening and thinking about swallowing my principals as I would most likely have to go this year or next due to approaching older age, however I think after reading of your experiences the thought of this additional possible hassel (I would really object to them messing around with my jeep) is enough to firm up my resolution again.
thanks again
:)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I was headed up bear hunting to Ontario with a van FULL of hunting equipment. In side was a 50 pound dog food bag full of donuts. It was located near the rear opening and the first thing they noticed. The customs guy says, "you know you can't bring any food in that isn't fit for human consumption." I said, "sorry sir, I didn't know that." And as I said it grabbed a donut and took a bit. He laughed and said, "get the hell outa here."

Last time coming back from moose hunting. I got, "what's the purpose of your trip." I said, "moose hunting". And now he looks and sees a longbow. "YOu hunt moose with that?" Followed by, "did you have weather as bad as we did?" And then some pointers on where higher moose population are located than where we were. Probably 15 minutes of good hunting conversation.

Bowmania

·
Super Moderator
7,978 Posts
i have always had more problems with u.s. customs than canadian, and i have crossed at some of the busiest and most remote stations along the border. the most fun was once when i had a camper stuffed with 3d animals we were donating to the longbow safari in claresholm alberta. the canadian border guard said he was sorry, but he would have to look in the fridge to make sure we were not carrying any produce. i said that when i open the door a bear and bighorn sheep are going to fall on us and you are going to have to help reload them. i opened the door, the targets fell out, and he cracked up. after assuring him that they were donations and would not be sold he helped stuff them back in and i went on. i have been stalled for hours by the u.s. customs both at the border and at airports in canada because they were making a point about how they were needing more wages and less hours.
i always carry a passport. saves any problems going both ways.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.