Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the site. Looks like lots of good information here.

I am researching hybrid longbows for an upcoming purchase and am looking for information on the Border Harrier/ Black Harrier. I haven't been able to find much information on them.

It looks like there are a number of Border owners here. Any of you handle any of the Harrier series?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hello Jaeger,
Welcome to the site. Itis a good place to learn from, with alot of experienced archers that share their knowledge.
I don't know anything about the Border Harrier, but somebody will come along that does. :)

Lambow

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

I've been shooting a compound and am fairly proficient with it. I enjoy it and will be hunting with it this year but frankly, it's getting a little boring and cumbersome.

I've been shooting the heck out of my old Damon Howatt recurve and have been getting an immense amount of satisfaction from it. I like what I've seen with the new hybrid "longbows" and I've decided to go in that direction for my next purchase.

Hi-tech metal riser bows are pretty cool but I think I'm looking for something that is a bit more traditional.

The Black Swan bows appear to be great but I'm not sure their appearance is what I'm after. It's hard to say without seeing one in person and being able to shoot it. Hence my interest in the Border Bows. Similar carbon technology but a more traditional appearance.

Centaur's takedown longbow also hold great interest for me. No carbon there but man do they look nice. I may have to test one of them out.

I guess I'm after a hybrid that is quiet, easy to tune, forgiving of my mistakes, rugged and beautiful. Good speed with hunting weight arrows would be a great plus! That's not too much to ask is it? :)

There are just far too many choices out there.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
A welcome from me as well, Jaeger. :)

Yeah, ya sure got that right... more choices in a recurve/longbow today than there ever has been. I bet I went through at least a dozen different bows in about a year's time, sure was fun. After hunting with the same bow for about 10 years, it was like walking into a newly-stocked candy store. :D

Only problem with the Black Swan and Border bows is that there aren't many of them on the used market, that must be saying something right there or maybe there aren't that many being built? Do either one of them have a try before you buy kind of thing? That would be the way to go. I found that new bows depreciate quickly after rolling off the lot so to speak, then there value stays rather steady from there on out. Also, I have found that what one person says about a bow might be viewed considerably different in the hands of someone else.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Border black harrier wins the UGLY bow prize.

Jason Read (2x European champion) shoots one and admited it didn't shoot as fast as my Blackbrook and I think no better in stability. The Border is £150 more than the Blackbrook, it's more about archers preference, I like performance bows that are also pretty :)

I've heard from several archers (Mostly Scottish) the some of the Border Longbows have failed, I get the impression that increased production has impacted on quality.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
Mr. Morley, do you have any links or contact information for Blackbrook?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
jaeger; Andy Soars who owns Blackbrook Bows is only a one man operation, he wont sell to USA, firstly because of the extra liablilty insurance and secondly because he can only just about keep up with English\European demand.

The closest you will get to it's performance in the USA would be 21st Century, the build quality on the Blackbrook is just outstanding.

http://www.andy.soars.btinternet.co.uk/bows.htm

His site hasn't been updated for quite a while so the Blackbrook 'Zeta' isn't on the site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again, thanks for the info.

It looks like I have a lot more research to do!
Steve, I have a feeling that even if Blackbrook sold to the US the exchange rate would kill me! I'll look into the 21st Century bows. I haven't heard of them before.
Luckily, I'm in no rush. I have a rifle that needs to sell before I can order anything!

I see that Centaur has "test drive" program. I'll have to give one a try.

Any experience with Saluki bows here? He makes modern "horn" bows that look very intriguing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.