Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a beautiful bow last fall, never got a chance to string/shoot it until a few weeks ago. the tiller (to my eye) is "non-typical" shall we say. :sbrug: bottom limb looks to have more bend when strung than the top. do any bowyers deliberately tiller limbs like this? I need pics of it both strung & drawn for a comparison I guess...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Check the length of the limbs. My wife had a brand new self bow without a shelf that was the same way. She shot off her hand. The bowyer had the markings on the wrong way and she was shooting it upside down.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Though not likely, it is possible the tiller profile is correct for her. How is the bow designed? Same length limbs or shorter bottom? Does your wife shoot split finger or three under?

A bow's braced profile should be a RESULT of how its relative limb strength at full draw meshes with the archer's holds in bow and string.... not the other way around. In glass laminated bows, things are much more predictable.... and the braced profile is a better indicator of how the bow will react to being drawn a certain way... not so much with organic bows. In my organic bows, selfbows, backed, and composites, the tiller profiles that result after timing the limbs ranges from slightly negative (weaker bottom limb) to slightly positive... with most being closer to equal.

Ultimately, what matters most is how the bow balances at full draw in her hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe self bows have a little stiffer lower limb but the boo back Osage that I have is pretty even. When unstrung does it look straight or uneven? Does it jar your arm when shooting? If not, shoot away. Even if it has taken a little more set back on one limb it could still be a shooter. If it jars your teeth then some re-tillering may help. I do like the look of the bamboo backed wood bows, especially with some artistic touches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use a ruler, measure in a foot from where the string hits the belly near the nock, next measure the distance from the limb to the string. If your lower limb is weak you will have a longer measurement on the lower limb compared to the top. Normal tiller would be even to 1/4" less distance on the bottom limb.

If the bow was made for a three under shooter the limbs will be close to even, for a split finger shooter the bottom limb will often be a little stiffer than the top.

If you have a really weak bottom limb you can cut an inch off, retiller and get your limbs back in line.

·
Registered
590 Posts
One tends to think that no bowyer would fit the grip and arrow rest the wrong way. Never. But things like that do happen! I made an ukulele once, many hours of labour went into it and everything turned out well. When I started playing her the first time I realised the fret markings were installed upside down, didn't notice before.

I would try and get in contact with the bowyer. If not possible maybe get some advice from another bowmaker who knows his stuff.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, after much figgering, researching, kickin' the dirt & considerable whittling (both on sticks & leather arrow rest) i have decided that this BBO by Vinson Miner really shoots! same arrows that fishtailed like @#$% now fly true after carving away nearly 1/8th inch from arrow rest. i am no longer "concerned" about strung profile.:shooting:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Vinson Minor.....I haven't heard that name in a long time. I used to have one of this bows named "Cane Dragon". A gorgeous bow that shot off the hand. I ended up trading it but it sure was a beauty.

Doug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts