Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Take it easy, Hank. I'll be headed for the Ohio qualifier in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to scrap the walker for a motorized chair with a swivel seat so I can get sideways to shoot that 900 round. Of course, I'll need a couple of sets of electronically activated, motorized joints in order to shoot the 90 arrows. Other than that, I['m feelin' pretty spry for 32 years old!

·
Banned
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just moved and my back and shoulder have been bothering me so I am going to skip this years Senior Olympics. I told a friend on the phone I wasn't going to shoot it and they said "why would you shoot it anyway, you look and act like you are 41" :) (I will take it)

Wonder how Bob did?

Hank

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hank...Just got back from shooting the American 900 round. I thought my shooting sucked as compared to my back yard practice but it was good eneugh to win. I don't know how to compare my score of 763 to anything so don't know what's a good round or a lousy score but I wasn't to happy with my shooting, to many ugly shots that didn't go where they belonged. Maybe I can blame my performance on the good looking young lady from the local TV station with the very tight Jeans who poked her TV camera in my face when I was shooting, What a distraction, the camera of course. It was a lot of fun, well orginized and went nice and smooth except for the four foot rattler under the target next to mine. Gees, I hate those things...warf

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Well, Bob, let me do some comparisons of 900 round scores. I believe the FITA min qualifying score is around 600. That's with full FITA regalia. The min barebow qualifier is around 425-450. I personally consider a barebow score of 600 to be very competitive. I've broken 700 only once barebow, and I've probably shot the 900 for score at least 50 times. Don't know what the first place score was at senior nationals was last year for barebow, but I doubt it was over 775. In a word, you're a condendah, baby.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Looks like there are two of you at the top then, FBAXIS. I know that Desert Archer likes the 900 and shoots it barebow regularly. If he shoots in the seniors, he may be some very tough competition for the two of you.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Thanks much for the scores and info, that helps me see how I shot as compared to the rest of the world. I was using a 3-D bow, shelf, fuzzy things on the string, etc. Not the best bow for the event. I will have to try it with my Avalon and see what happens. Still not to happy with the score, did two weeks worth of good practice ends with a lot of good shots, guess I was saving the few ugly shots in the blue for the main event, figures...lol...I guess I would be in the 65 to 70 year old class, geez...that sounds terrible!...Sounds worse when I remember I have been shooting arrows in competition for over fifty years...warf

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Good link, Van, and about what I'd expect. I appreciate your sharing some past experience. I think one of my favorite things about the 900 and why I keep coming back to it is just what your experience, and now Bob's, shows: You can be well practiced, go out two days in a row feeling great both times and have a seemingly unexplainable 50-100 point difference in scores. Two years ago I shot 6 900 tourneys during a summer and ended up scoring between 690 and 712 in each one. My guess is that will never happen to me again, and I guess I don't want it to since I'd hate to think I'd never get up around 740-750. Just seems like you can't have the ups without the downs in the 900!

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
Like Oz, Van and now Bob I do like the 900 round. It is my favorite venue for "pure target shooting", meaning level field with big multi color targets lined up and shooting shot after shot at the same distance.

My personal best was a 755 last year (you beat me pretty good Bob!). That was in the State Police/Fire Games. In the Senior Olympics my best was a 716, again last year. Only 900s I shot this Spring were the FITA version which is 10% further (meters instead of yards). My best was a 696. For some reason the extra 10% makes it seem about 20% harder. (LOL)

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
DA...Your right, the American round is a lot of fun and your either on or your not. Amazing how thinks can go bad real fast for six arrows in a row!...lol...;Had a guy shooting next to me and he did his best six arrow group and score and was tickled pink until he realized he cross fired and shot it on my target and not his!...This morning I'm setting up a Hoyt Elan fita riser with some Sky conquest limbs and am going to do some 60 yd shooting with it. Been a long time since I shot much with a bare FITA bow, had to blow the cob webs and dust of it to see what color it was. Should be a interesting comparison between this bow and a warf 3-D bow with a shelf and all the accuracy busting trad stuff on it..Gotta love that 60 yd stuff on a flat grassy shooting field with the sun at your back, nice change from humping it up a brushy hill shooting one arrow at a foam deer then walking to the next foam critter behind a bunch of compound archers packing umbrella's and coolers and lawn chairs...lol...warf

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
Bob,

While you're out in that grassy field, try an end or two at 66 yards (60 meters). Probably won't make much difference to you but it sure seems harder to me. Maybe it's just psychological but that extra 10% seems harder than it should.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.