Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from visiting my folks in Groton Connecticut. Gronton is located right on the CT/RI border on any given day we would fish Connecticut, New York and Rhode Island.

Blue Crabs are caught at night in the cove using dip nets and head lamps - the right tide didn't come until the end of the week so the boys were very pumped up for crabing.

Grandpa John and Leo talking technique

We loaded into 3 sit on top Kayaks Leo and I in a double and Dad and John in thier own. You just poke along in 2-3 feet of water scaning the bottom with your light once you see one you dip it and drop it in the bucket - Leo had a blast.

The results one of 2 5 gallon buckets we filled in 3 hours - if Leo looks a little wet it is because I got sick of telling him to sit down in the Kayak and let nature take its course - he was a little freaked out in the water until I told him to stand up ( 2 feet of water)

Culling out the females after we gave them some time in the frige to calm down - Blue crabs are aggressive and NASTY

Leo and Jon getting crab picking lessons from Grandpa John - Leo was a little grossed out with the process at first

He got over it

The aftermath

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Looks like a good time, I'm betting the boys will always remember crabbin' with grampa.

·
Premium Member
12,642 Posts
Matt, I get a bang outta your stories with the kids, Mike is right, I have a ton of memories of times spent learning things from Grandpa....your kids will LONG remember.
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks Matt for the pics and story!

Sure wish you coulda come a couple hours South and visit for a day or so. We'd a had fun for sure.

Tom

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys - the great thing is watching my Mom and Dad enjoy retirement so much - Dad milked cows for a living and worked his a-- off to see him have the biggest decision be to fish the morning tide or the evening tide is great to see. When I was a kid he was always tired and to see him interact with my kids shows a whole new side of him.

Tom - just wasn't time this trip - my wife competed in the USAT triathlon up in VT which ate up 2 days of the vacation and I shot a field shoot - the rest was spent on the water with the family.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts