Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses them??

This is Sam my yellow lab he has never retrieved a duck but man he is awesome on a blood trail.

Training is easy - I started him on beef and pork blood that I got from the local butcher. Then graduated him to real blood trails. Even if I saw the animal drop I still went home and got him to run the trail. I wish he was young enough to run with the hounds for cats cause he sure would love it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm working with one right now Matt, a 4 month old Jack Russell/Beagle mix who has already proven that he's got one heckuva nose on him. There are some places around here in these short pines where a rabbit has to carry a machete to travel and if you arrow one and the deer gets in there you'd better have a dog. Otherwise you'll be extremely lucky trying to hack your way through and stumble on him....

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm working with one right now Matt, a 4 month old Jack Russell/Beagle mix who has already proven that he's got one heckuva nose on him. There are some places around here in these short pines where a rabbit has to carry a machete to travel and if you arrow one and the deer gets in there you'd better have a dog. Otherwise you'll be extremely lucky trying to hack your way through and stumble on him....
Bet that little guy has some drive ;-)

Matt

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've got a golden retriever puppy that helps me out just for fun. I put her on the blood and she took right to it. It didn't take her long to catch on.

For all the deer my friends and I killed at my place this year we had her "track" them. Even if we saw them fall.

Here she is in November. She's probably 5 or 6 months here.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been working my dog some. The problem is here in Oregon you can not use dogs to trail in a hunting situation. Stupid, Stupid law, in my opinion. He gets it with birds, but will probably never get a chance to trail anything bigger than a rabbit.
I think it is good to keep dogs working as much as you can, they enjoy learning. The more time you spend with them the easier it gets.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug

Montana just saw the light and legalized it a couple of years ago. Up until then I took the dog for a walk without a weapon. We only found one deer that was still alive. Took the dog home and got my bow when I got back the deer was dead.

Matt

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I use one if I need it,,My Schnauzer has found one for me. He is slow, methodical and very "Cold nosed". My Jack has great potential but I need to train him more on a leash because he gets very distracted by other things moving in the woods.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Yeah Matt I remember the spring bear hunt that my young friend shot the first black beer of his bow hunting career......we searched for about 4 days I think and you were saying if you had your dog we could have found it.

That one still haunts me.....first time I have been on an unsuccessful recovery. He was so disappointed to and I hate not know the fate of the creature the most.

Don't like them to suffer and finding them puts that one to bed in my mind.

Great thread...Jer

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
She has that look on her face like, " I know, I did it, and I'm good but no need to make it too big a deal,,but yes I did it and I'm good!" Sweet little girl.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We have 5 Dachshunds that will all trail anything you might put them on.
Their a pretty undisciplined mob in the field but they still work great on Rabbits, Hares and the odd Opossum.
I've never used them on deer because I've simply never had the need, but the day I do need them I have no doubts they will be up to the task.
I have some pic's of them in my photo album.

John.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts