Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot 40# recurve for whitetails and typically use two blade heads. I just ordered some Dirtnap DRT HD heads which resemble silver flame heads with bleeder blades. Now I am thinking, "Will the bleeder blades hinder penetration?" Let me know what you think if the bleeder blades will hinder penetration with my girly weight bows, lol.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^^I figured they would be fine. LOL, you got me good there. I can shoot heavier but I am the most accurate with my 40-45# bows. Thanks

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Most articles I've seen caution against bleeder blades. The two blade(in theory) will slip between the ribs with less interference and from all accounts I've read will penetrate better, especially in lower poundage bows. I shoot 40-45# with Muzzy Phantoms or Magnus Stingers, both two blade....

·
Banned
1,654 Posts
They will hinder penetration some. Will it matter? Depends on lots of other factors. If everything else is good, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you are close I'd say no problem. At 35 to 40 yards could be a problem. I shot a nice buck at 39 yds with a wasp sharpshooter cut on contact very sharp 3" above the heart got about 3" maybe 4" penetration. Ran about 100 yards then watched him walk about a mile down a dirt road out of sight. With almost no blood after the 100 yards. 2 blade no bleaders for me from now on

·
Registered
460 Posts
You won't lose an animal due to using bleeders.
I have mainly hunted Red deer which are a larger animal than Whitetail and have never lost an animal due to a lack of penetration either with or without bleeders.

Good luck.
John.

·
AKA tracker12
73 Posts
I have shot several deer with Magnus Stinger 4 Blades that have the bleeder from my 43# Big River longbow. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
If I were hunting big game with minimum poundage, I'd shoot two-blade heads in an attempt to maximize penetration. I'd rather have a hole on both sides of the animal than only one hole with slightly larger wound channel. JMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts