Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended Rod Jenkins Clinic at LAS last weekend. I considered myself to be good at practicing my shot prior to attending this clinic. I couldn't have been more wrong. Rod told us that just shooting arrows isn't good practice, you can fling arrows all day and never get any better. And he's right, because I wasn't any better was the main reason I was at the clinic.

He preached the shot sequence to us all weekend. We talked more than we shot arrows. We needed to talk about the shot. Because we all were just flinging arrows up to that point and all of us knew that we weren't as good as we wanted to be, there had to be a better way. We went over the shot sequence, all the fine details, and I took ALOT of notes. I am determined to be better.

I have a high anchor, but I was never really consistently hitting it. I had trouble bringing my hand up to anchor. Rod told me to lead with me draw elbow. Get the draw elbow up high and use it as a guide to pull my hand up to my face to hit anchor. Check out the picture below. The arrow is pointing to a small bruise on the front of my cheekbone. That bruise is one of my anchor points. After 3 Days at the bale I am hitting my anchor more consistently :cheers:

I've got a lot more to say, but I'm just finishing up Day 4 at the Bale and I will leave it up for comments at this point and post more later.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Tony, good to see you sticking with it and don't give up...for me I had to hit absolute rock bottom before I knew I had to change something...ended up being having to change ALOT...there's no doubt in my mind if I didn't change something I would have been right there stuck shooting the bad shots,no discipline,bad form...getting beat by almost everyone.

Congrats again...keep it up

Dewayne

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bruise is a result of the tip of my index finger hitting the same exact spot on my face probably 300 times in the last 4 days. I posted the picture to demonstrate how I am becoming more exact, and detailed with my anchor. Pressure gets applied to that spot as I dig into the anchor and then attempt to finish with a back tension release.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sam posted a link to vid in this thread about draw elbow position. That leads me to another good point, and something else I need ALOT of work on. And that's my release. I have a BAD habit of plucking off the string and pushing shots to the right. On the 3D course I have missed alot of 10 rings with a shot that has had perfect elevation but hit 8" to the right scoring me a 5, all because I plucked the string. The high draw elbow is serving 2 functions very well so far. One, it is leading my draw hand up right into my high anchor location. Second, once at anchor the high elbow puts the scapula in an optimal position to finish off the shot with a back tension release. Just roll the draw elbow back and down using the muscles surround the scapula and your fingers just pull of the string with a nice strong release. Like Rod said.....Every shot should be a strong shot, no weak shots.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tony, good to see you sticking with it and don't give up...for me I had to hit absolute rock bottom before I knew I had to change something...ended up being having to change ALOT...there's no doubt in my mind if I didn't change something I would have been right there stuck shooting the bad shots,no discipline,bad form...getting beat by almost everyone.

Dewayne
Dewayne, shooting the IBO Worlds last year demonstrated to me that it is possible to shoot at a much higher level. Shooting longbow with Dave and Calvin, as they demonstrated so much poise and consistency, I knew I had to do something. I intend to stick with it, break those bad habits, and see how far I can go. Besides, Calvin is getting lonely at the top!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Are your 8" misses to the left? Everybody anchors differently, you seem to be pretty far "out" on your face. I guess if Rod didn't see an issue with it, keep pounding the bale to engrain it. Good luck, sounds like your on your way to good times.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are your 8" misses to the left? Everybody anchors differently, you seem to be pretty far "out" on your face. I guess if Rod didn't see an issue with it, keep pounding the bale to engrain it. Good luck, sounds like your on your way to good times.
I am right handed. So a poor release or plucking generally pushes shots to the right. I should clarify that it was Rod's instruction to keep the draw elbow high during the draw and at anchor. Prior to this clinic I was all over the place.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I wanted to bring up another point this morning. So often, many of us are looking for the "perfect bow", the one that "shoots where we are looking". We will spend alot of money to acquire all kinds of bows and equipment to make us shoot better. This seldom works.

Instead, we should really be spending the time developing a perfect shot. There is no shortcut. We can spend all the money we want, but we need to do the work to be a good shot. Any half decent bow will do the job, if we do our part, which is to master every detail of the shot sequence. After only 4 days of dedicated bale work I can see the benefits. It is hard to stay on task at the bale, our very nature wants to have us flinging arrows and having fun. We have to resist that urge, and put in the time to fine tune every detail of the shot sequence.

My only regret is that I didn't sign up for Rod Jenkins Clinic IMMEDIATELY after deciding to pick up a traditional bow. Lots of time and money could have been saved, and I wouldn't have all these bad habits to break.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I couldn't agree more Urban! As shooters/archers, we should set goals for ourselves and work toward accomplishing them in the perfection of one's shot.

Not everyone wants to be an olympic gold medalist, BUT, most who shoot one weapon or another DO have expectations of themselves, whether it is to be confident in one's bowhunting, enjoy competition or a fun 3D… I wholeheartedly agree that it is not accomplished in the purchase of gear but in the perfection of the shot.

Tom

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this blank bailing to be done as your only practice or can you mix it up with target practice?
You are supposed to stand just a couple yards in front of the bale, which should be elevated so you dont have to lean down to the target. No target on the bale. Just working through your shot sequence, repetitively, for several weeks until it becomes second nature. At that time, you should resist the urge to shoot at targets from any distance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.