Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my first 50 or so arrows with the Blacktail today on my backyard range. You can see pics on my post from a few days ago.

Using what I had on hand, I started with some aluminum Easton Camo Hunter XX75 2018 5/16". I then went with carbon Beman MFX Classic 600 17/64".

The ergonomics of the grip fit very well. The grip also lends itself to using the same hand position consistently, and is easy to repeat by feel. The bow was very very smooth throughout every shot. There was no vibration. Coupling the design with the 66" length, this may be the smoothest bow that I can remember shooting. For my Jersey friends, It was smooth like buttah'! Using the Eastons, the bow was fast and very hard hitting, especially for a 45 pounder. Switching over to the smaller diameter Bemans, the bow was VERY FAST and VERY FLAT. I shot from 10 to 25 yards and the Bemans flew like they were fired out of a cannon.

I have some arrow shopping and tuning to do, but all indications are that this is the best shooting bow that I can remember. I am trying very hard to be objective about this review, but the more I shot the bow the more excited I got about it. I am really looking forward to dialing in the groove with the bow this spring.

Score: 11 out of a possible 10 stars!

Steve

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I only had one opportunity to shoot a Blacktail. I felt lighter to draw than the bow I was shooting, and smoother, although it was 5# heavier.
I was very impressed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds like a sweet bow !

How long did it take you to receive your Snakebit btw ? Norm told me it would be around 9-12 months.

I agree with J.P...video please. ;0)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I think the .600s will be on the weak side for that bow, but a lot depends on your draw length and arrow length. Assuming your draw length is about 29", since that's how Norm built the bow, that's going to give you an arrow length in the 30"-31" range. I think a .500 or a .400 would be a better starting point.

I have two similar bows, 64" Snakebits, both 50#@29", one TD and one one-piece. The TD gets along well with 31" .340s and 225gr. points, the one-piece works better with 31" .400s and 150 grain points. I've tried .500 carbons out of my Blacktails and they are way to weak even cut short with light points. I'm right on the .340/.400 edge with both bows and can really go either way.

When you start shooting bare shafts you will know for sure.

Norm's bows are real shooters though, aren't they? I've always said that the beauty of the Blacktail wouldn't mean much if they weren't good performers. I've never shot mine over a chronograph, and I'm pretty sure I have one or two other bows that might be a bit faster, but I don't have any that have the nice refined feel of my Blacktails. You should be able to get your bow whisper quiet if you want too.

Enjoy your beautiful bow, keep posting the details as you get to know it...:shooting:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts