Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of long 40# BlackMax carbons with the Titan II riser, yielding a 64" bow. I bought a second set of limbs in 45#. Maxed out the 40# draw 48# at 29". The 45# are drawing 52# at 28" and almost 56# at 29". They yield 48# at 28" with the limb bolts three turns off of max. I was under the impression that the limbs are rated on a 17" riser and my 19" riser should have yielded a weight lower than labeled.
Anyone else had a set of BlackMax limbs that ran a bit heavy?
On the plus side, the arrows do seem to be pretty fast.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
I just got a set that were on the heavy side

One call and another set was on its way and they are just right :)

That's the nice thing about LAS

They have great customer service and that is a great limb

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Black Max limbs that I had were pretty close to what they were rated at, the several sets of Tradtech longbow limbs I had were ALL a few pounds heavy. They are also rated at the minimum weight setting.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not going to ask for a replacement set and was not a criticism of LAS or TradTech.
I was just curious. I know that almost every production bow I have ever shot has scaled heavier than indicated. The most recent is my friend who has a 42# Bear Kodiak that scaled 46# @28".
I had thought about selling off the 45# limbs after having two days of rough shooting but I now seem to have settled into the weight better. I know it is more than I need, but I always like to have a little extra.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
The limbs are rated at minimum setting that I believe is five turns out on the riser. You would expect to gain five pounds going to tight and another three for 29 inch draw.

So 40 pound limbs max'd out would be 48 at 29".

Mike

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The limbs are rated at minimum setting that I believe is five turns out on the riser. You would expect to gain five pounds going to tight and another three for 29 inch draw.

So 40 pound limbs max'd out would be 48 at 29".

Mike
The BlackMax limbs are rated at minimum when three turns off of max, as per manual. They might go more turns from max, but I get nervous exceeding specs on stuff like this. hate to have them come off the riser while shooting for the sake of a couple of pounds....

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
They are made by Samick and are rated at minimum preload. All three pairs of mine pull several pounds more than marked. I think limb angles have a bit to do with it too, so results can vary with different risers.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just returned to Lancaster archery a pair of TT carbon wood shorts that were 10 pounds heavier than marked.( I know because I ordered three pairs in the last month, the first two right on the mark). I mailed them back a couple days ago.. I am sure Lancaster archery will give me no issues.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Based on what TradTech told me, the Titan 3, 19" riser will only lose 0.5# over the 17" Titan and Titan 2. They do occasionally have mis marked limbs. Some limbs are rated by tradtech(samick) with a + on the side with the serial number to indicate it is maybe 2-3 # heavier than the normal rating. Let them know what you have and they will make it right

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was just surprised that the 40# were spot on, but the 45# set ran a bit heavy.
For a couple of pounds, I am not bothering to return limbs.

I got the chance to scale the 45# limbs today. With the bushing down contacting the riser (max) they draw 52# @ 28".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.