Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shooting a BW recurve 60" AMO, [email protected] For months it's been shooting perfectly and silent. You can't even hear this thing at release. Then I got my H.H Big 5 and the BW has been ignored for about six weeks.

I picked that joker up today (the BW) and shot it. The arrow flight to the target is as good as ever...however it NOW makes a noise like...wait for it...like someone hitting the bow very hard on a brick wall. Bonk!!! That's at every arrow release. What is going on!?! Again...so the bow now goes Bonk! and then a nano second later we hear the thump of the arrow in the target. Wasn't happening before. Now..BONK/THUMP. BONK/THUMP. Before just THUMP at the target.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup same arrows. i cant tell you how heavy they are but heavy. and five inch vanes. could the brace height be off on the BW? Guess I'm obsessed with brace height these days, but string, at the bow tips, looks like it may be touching the bow too much at rest. Will check brace height in morning.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
If the arrows are right and you didn't switch to three under, I'd say twiddling with the brace height is probably the best bet to calm it down. As Rusty points out, those two bows want a different hold.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Rotate your wrist up on the longbow, as you grip a suitcase. Rotate your wrist down on the recurve allowing it to naturally center/ settle into the crease between thumb base and index of your hand. You "heel" with the heel of your hand on the longbow when you "grip" it like the suitcase

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Some people grip a Hill with more than there just thumb pad, as you would grip a pistol grip.

This can lead to pushing the heal of the pistol grip with the heal of your palm when you release the pistol since you are not used to the raised grip.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Could it be possible that your form changed and your DL shortened shooting the longbow and now your arrows are banging the widows riser and now acting stiff due to a shorter draw?

Stretch out with that widow one time and see what happens...also...check your BH...I'm betting it's one or both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very embarrassed now. Problem was brace height. I don't know how the brace height changed in such short amount of time. Correct brace height is 8.5. Bow was braced at 7.25! Corrected brace height. BW now back to shooting quietly. So sorry guys. Still learning about everything trad. Still learning.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
If you have not touched the bow and the brace height got shorter, measure the length of the string. Either it was not stretched or it is unraveling or breaking slowly.

Be safe, you don't want to de-laminate the bow or get whipped or beaten up by it either.

·
grayfeather
115 Posts
I am shooting a BW recurve 60" AMO, [email protected] For months it's been shooting perfectly and silent. You can't even hear this thing at release. Then I got my H.H Big 5 and the BW has been ignored for about six weeks.

I picked that joker up today (the BW) and shot it. The arrow flight to the target is as good as ever...however it NOW makes a noise like...wait for it...like someone hitting the bow very hard on a brick wall. Bonk!!! That's at every arrow release. What is going on!?! Again...so the bow now goes Bonk! and then a nano second later we hear the thump of the arrow in the target. Wasn't happening before. Now..BONK/THUMP. BONK/THUMP. Before just THUMP at the target.
check the brace height , they like a lot !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.