Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot and hunted with both these bows through spring turkey, fall blackbear, and deer season. As well as plinking some rabbits.
Water Grass Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail
Twig Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Wood

To start off. Both these bows have a comfortable grip (although it demands for a more open grip). A fantastic radiused shelf for off the shelf shooting, however I noticed it was less forgiving with elevated rests. Both these bows shoot fast and fairly quiet. I find neither is louder than the other. The longbow is a higher pitched twang whereas the recurve is a dull thud with more vibration. However draw weight discrepencies are common and you should weigh the bow. I bought 40lb longbow limbs that turned out to be 47lbs which is why I got the 40lb recurve limbs for free. I also notice arrows group a little to the left (RH shooter) as arrows that group a few inches left at 20 yards fly straight whereas center shot arrows have more of an erratic flight.

The recurve is definitely faster, at 40lbs it shot a 610gr arrow at 155fps whereas the 47 longbow shot the same arrow at 153fps.

The longbow is definitely more forgiving. Before I got used to the grip my bowhand was causing torque and sending arrows everywhere, when I switched to the longbow my groupings immediately tightened up even though it's a heavier bow. The draw is also smoother, the longbow even though 7lbs heavier felt no more than a few lbs heavier than the recurve.

In the end it depends what you want. A shorter and faster bow or a more forgiving bow with a smoother draw. In the end I'm opting more for the recurve as it allows me to shoot a lighter bow for a longer hold and better followthrough without sacrificing speed.

Registered
I've shot and hunted with both these bows through spring turkey, fall blackbear, and deer season. As well as plinking some rabbits.
View attachment 42465 View attachment 42464

To start off. Both these bows have a comfortable grip (although it demands for a more open grip). A fantastic radiused shelf for off the shelf shooting, however I noticed it was less forgiving with elevated rests. Both these bows shoot fast and fairly quiet. I find neither is louder than the other. The longbow is a higher pitched twang whereas the recurve is a dull thud with more vibration. However draw weight discrepencies are common and you should weigh the bow. I bought 40lb longbow limbs that turned out to be 47lbs which is why I got the 40lb recurve limbs for free. I also notice arrows group a little to the left (RH shooter) as arrows that group a few inches left at 20 yards fly straight whereas center shot arrows have more of an erratic flight.

The recurve is definitely faster, at 40lbs it shot a 610gr arrow at 155fps whereas the 47 longbow shot the same arrow at 153fps.

The longbow is definitely more forgiving. Before I got used to the grip my bowhand was causing torque and sending arrows everywhere, when I switched to the longbow my groupings immediately tightened up even though it's a heavier bow. The draw is also smoother, the longbow even though 7lbs heavier felt no more than a few lbs heavier than the recurve.

In the end it depends what you want. A shorter and faster bow or a more forgiving bow with a smoother draw. In the end I'm opting more for the recurve as it allows me to shoot a lighter bow for a longer hold and better followthrough without sacrificing speed.
Nice review and comparison 馃憤

Registered
Is it the ones where the corners of the limb are chopped off and not square anymore? If so, yes.
Square interchangeable limbs are the mk2 version. Shaped limbs on the mk1 are not interchangeable. I was only asking because I have yet to see longbow limbs that were the mk2 interchangeable ones. I鈥檇 like to know if anyone has them. It sounds like yours are the mk1鈥檚. I had several of these mk1 bows and I never saw a speed difference between the LB and the recurve. I was a bit puzzled to see your speed difference and was wondering if something changed in the LB limbs.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Square interchangeable limbs are the mk2 version. Shaped limbs on the mk1 are not interchangeable. I was only asking because I have yet to see longbow limbs that were the mk2 interchangeable ones. I鈥檇 like to know if anyone has them. It sounds like yours are the mk1鈥檚. I had several of these mk1 bows and I never saw a speed difference between the LB and the recurve. I was a bit puzzled to see your speed difference and was wondering if something changed in the LB limbs.
The limbs are interchangeable with the longbow and recurve with mine from sinoart. Both have the exact same limb pockets. My brace height was 1/3" shorter when I chronod the recurve but that makes little difference against 7lbs more of draw weight.
Arm Sleeve Automotive lighting Jewellery Wrist
Material property Audio equipment Gas Household hardware Metal

Registered
Interesting so they are the mk1鈥檚 then. Seems odd to me I never saw a performance gap like that with mine but I never shot arrows that heavy. I believe you just wasn鈥檛 what I found. Either way 610grains from a 40 lb bow at 155fps must be a killer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting so they are the mk1鈥檚 then. Seems odd to me I never saw a performance gap like that with mine but I never shot arrows that heavy. I believe you just wasn鈥檛 what I found. Either way 610grains from a 40 lb bow at 155fps must be a killer.
It was definitely a pleasant surprise. During late season my shooting suffers from lack of time on the range and cold weather. Plus I got caught in a few situations where I had to hold for a long time. So having a lighter and shorter bow without sacrificing speed was nice. Although I'd like to have an arrow more in the 500-550gr range, I'm kinda stuck with the 340s I have lol. A heavier arrow means a quieter bow at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts