Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this 40# longbow from mandarin duck last week and the limbs are slightly misaligned. It's a little less than 1/16" off with both limbs. Both limbs tilt counter-clockwise when looking at the belly of the riser. The location pins are snug. It shoots fairly well out to 10 yards right now but I haven't been able to test it at longer distances yet.

They've offered me a 25% refund as compensation... A lotta folks here and elsewhere seem to love these bows and the draw experience of the bamboo is great but this is pretty disappointing, even for a budget bow. For other folks out there considering buying this bow, there appears to be at least 1 bad mold at their manufacturing facility for these newer MK II bows.

With this amount of misalignment I'm not sure what to expect down the road. Warped limbs? Inaccuracy past 20-30 yards? Or is this not a big deal? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lesson learned: I shoulda ordered from Twig.

unaligned.1.jpg

unaligned.2.jpg

unaligned.3.jpg

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
hard to visualize well from here, but since both limbs "tilt" in same direction, left - if I got it correctly - string can't line up centered on riser, true?
Hold bow in bow hand t rm's length & view from behind, string centered on riser - use bolts' centers for string to center on - and riser looks angled, not straight away?
it seems like it's got to shoot funky - off some - the further away your target is.
Welcome to the forum, hopefully some of the others will chime in with good thoughts & suggestions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
First of all, I think it's wrong to assume that the limbs are misaligned. It could very easily be a matter of the limbs being aligned perfectly on that particular riser that for whatever reason was just a little off. There are no "molds" and wood isn't perfect...especially when one riser isn't made specifically for one set of limbs. Risers like that are made in bulk and then paired up with a set of limbs later. They are likely put into a jig that marks exactly where the limb bolt and alignment pin needs to be in order to achieve the proper alignment.

On a custom bow (MUCH more expensive) once the limbs are aligned, the fitment of the limb/riser combo would be made perfect (hopefully, although I've owned custom bows that aren't perfect either) It's and extra step in the process before finish and every additional step costs more money.

If it were me, the only thing that would matter is if the limbs are straight and the string tracks properly. If that isn't the case, I would demand an exchange. If it is the case, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The only thing that will affect the accuracy is you.

KPC

·
Registered
132 Posts
Respectfully, if you buy that bow via a shop like twig archery, you pay a little more but you have recourse. Not trying to make you feel bad but there is truth to that. I got burned before thats how I know. ☹

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold bow in bow hand t rm's length & view from behind, string centered on riser - use bolts' centers for string to center on - and riser looks angled, not straight away?
With the string centered on the riser the upper limb is noticablely twisted compared to the line of the string. The bottom limb isn't as bad but it's definitely off.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, I think it's wrong to assume that the limbs are misaligned. It could very easily be a matter of the limbs being aligned perfectly on that particular riser that for whatever reason was just a little off. There are no "molds" and wood isn't perfect...especially when one riser isn't made specifically for one set of limbs. Risers like that are made in bulk and then paired up with a set of limbs later. They are likely put into a jig that marks exactly where the limb bolt and alignment pin needs to be in order to achieve the proper alignment.

On a custom bow (MUCH more expensive) once the limbs are aligned, the fitment of the limb/riser combo would be made perfect (hopefully, although I've owned custom bows that aren't perfect either) It's and extra step in the process before finish and every additional step costs more money.

If it were me, the only thing that would matter is if the limbs are straight and the string tracks properly. If that isn't the case, I would demand an exchange. If it is the case, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The only thing that will affect the accuracy is you.

KPC
Thanks for the feedback KPC (here and @AT).

I have no idea how these laminates are mass produced but this is what mandarin duck responded with:

This is not the normal quality standard of our bows.

I just called our manufacturing team.

According to them, they haven’t received any similar feedback but it might be possible for some units from the first batch of the new MK II version, due to the new molds.

It doesn’t exist in the stocks, but they are not sure if a replacement riser or limbs could solve the problem, unless the bow could be returned and checked in the workshop.

In this case, please let me know if it is okay to issue a 25% refund as compensation.

I'm sure there's plenty being "lost in translation" and perhaps by "molds" he's referring to pin/bolt jigs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Respectfully, if you buy that bow via a shop like twig archery, you pay a little more but you have recourse. Not trying to make you feel bad but there is truth to that. I got burned before thats how I know. ☹
Yah this definitely wasn't worth saving $50! I've bought from Twig in the past and never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the feedback KPC (here and @AT).

I have no idea how these laminates are mass produced but this is what mandarin duck responded with:

This is not the normal quality standard of our bows.

I just called our manufacturing team.

According to them, they haven’t received any similar feedback but it might be possible for some units from the first batch of the new MK II version, due to the new molds.

It doesn’t exist in the stocks, but they are not sure if a replacement riser or limbs could solve the problem, unless the bow could be returned and checked in the workshop.

In this case, please let me know if it is okay to issue a 25% refund as compensation.

I'm sure there's plenty being "lost in translation" and perhaps by "molds" he's referring to pin/bolt jigs.
Why not just say "I appreciate your offer, but I think I'd rather have a refund or an exchange for another bow."

KPC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone gives a damn, I took some measurements tonight and the bolt bushings and alignment pins were centered on the riser. After removing the felt from the limbs to get a better look, the bolt holes were centered but the location holes were off by about 1/16". The tip of the top limb is also warping slightly.

hey KPC - We're in the process of working out a full refund now. I told them 25% was unacceptable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In case anyone gives a damn, I took some measurements tonight and the bolt bushings and alignment pins were centered on the riser. After removing the felt from the limbs to get a better look, the bolt holes were centered but the location holes were off by about 1/16". The tip of the top limb is also warping slightly.

hey KPC - We're in the process of working out a full refund now. I told them 25% was unacceptable.
Good. As I said in my first post, if the string isn't tracking correctly, send it back. FWIW, if you decide to stick with a Black Hunter, go to Lancaster Archery Supply and check out the Galaxy Ember...its the same bow. You will pay a little more but their service before and after the sale is second to none.

KPC

·
Premium Member
12,110 Posts
and with LAS you don't concern yourself with stuff being "lost in translation" like in yoour above post.
GOOD on you, I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

Reactions: felix-j

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my money back today. Their customer support quickly offered a full refund or exchange after I sent them a video showing the warping. They made it right and I appreciate that but for anyone thinking about ordering the Black Hunter MK II Longbow (40#) from Mandarin Duck: they've got some manufacturing and QA issues with the limbs.

Thanks all for the advice. So now I know that I want bamboo limbs... Back to bow shopping again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just received this 40# longbow from mandarin duck last week and the limbs are slightly misaligned. It's a little less than 1/16" off with both limbs. Both limbs tilt counter-clockwise when looking at the belly of the riser. The location pins are snug. It shoots fairly well out to 10 yards right now but I haven't been able to test it at longer distances yet.

They've offered me a 25% refund as compensation... A lotta folks here and elsewhere seem to love these bows and the draw experience of the bamboo is great but this is pretty disappointing, even for a budget bow. For other folks out there considering buying this bow, there appears to be at least 1 bad mold at their manufacturing facility for these newer MK II bows.

With this amount of misalignment I'm not sure what to expect down the road. Warped limbs? Inaccuracy past 20-30 yards? Or is this not a big deal? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Lesson learned: I shoulda ordered from Twig.

View attachment 2778

View attachment 2779

View attachment 2780
I have two of these bows. 55lb and 60lb. They both appear slightly 'off' at the riser, albeit not as much as yours. No need to be alarmed, that may be a woodwork issue with your <=$200 bow, not alignment.

Make points in the dead center of the riser with tape, above and below the center-shot shelf. Rest the bow between 2 chairs, and look down the string. The shelf and your two reference points should all be in alignment. Little else matters to the arrow coming off that bow. If they are not in alignment, send it back.

These are great bows, with more whack and balance than many others at 4x the price.

Cheers,

Remote

1 - 13 of 13 Posts