Trad Talk Forums banner

Black eagle arrows

9K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  kentucky 
#1 ·
Thinking about switching arrows, I’ve been shooting beman centershots and they are great arrows, but they are discontinued and becoming less available.. yes I know, there are several place that still have them, but lots of them are seconds and I’m ready to switch.

I’ve been looking at Black eagle Renegades.
they are relatively cheap, .204 arrow, 32.5” shafts. Not sold on the half-out insert.

I’ve had their Vintage 5/16” shaft, which were great. I’ve also had the Instinct shaft, which I thought where less than good.

Anybody have experience with the Renegade model?

#2 ·
Jordan, Not the renegade but I am liking the black Eagle intrepid arrow, cheaper alternative to victory vap’s.
when I say cheaper it’s in cost, quality has been excellent. Very pleased with their quality of a low cost shaft imagine it would be even better with a higher cost shaft.
let me look I might have some shafts, don’t remember if they are rampage or renegade shafts

Chad

#3 ·
I have used their deep impact shafts for 3 years or so...same dozen, have lost a few but not broken a single one. I'm impressed! These have outserts and I like them overall but I have bent the outserts. If they were inserts the shaft would have split instead. New outsert and back in business. I agree with your apprehension about the halfoutserts. That just gives the point more leverage to split your shaft imo. I have turned some outserts for my deep impacts do they have a 5 degree taper instead of screw in...makes a bombproof hunting shaft.

#4 ·
Yeah, that’s what I after.. bomb proof.. another reason is I got a good deal on a group of 250g cutthroats, and they are a little heavier than what I used to.. so looking to get a lighter GPI shaft to offset the new heavier heads I’m wanting to use. I’m not a huge FOC fan, but I’m gonna have some descent FOC arrows.. that’s for sure.. they are gonna be for a new long bow I’m getting.. JT traditions apollo2. I’m still thinking a 400 shaft maybe cut to 30 may work.. but with 300 total up front my be in 340 spine?? Thoughts?

#5 ·
JORDAN, I've posted this before, it's rough but a decent guideline, I got it from HANK on here.....he's the math man.
Hope it helps. posits what spine a basic .400 becomes at various lengths....etc. I hope it helps.
Calculated
Length 28 29 30 31 32
Spine 400 444 492 543 597
Spine 500 556 615 679 746
Spine 600 667 738 814 896

#10 ·
JORDAN, I've posted this before, it's rough but a decent guideline, I got it from HANK on here.....he's the math man.
Hope it helps. posits what spine a basic .400 becomes at various lengths....etc. I hope it helps.
Calculated
Length 28 29 30 31 32
Spine 400 444 492 543 597
Spine 500 556 615 679 746
Spine 600 667 738 814 896
This is good info.. so a 300 spine would be 332ish,366ish,406ish,446ish?? Somewhere in the.. that’s close to the exponential patterns the others show.. but of course that is static spine..

It’s gonna be a 400 or a 340 spine.. I know that much.. I’d just like to end up with a 575g 30-31” arrow.

#8 ·
That outsert was a pain..out of a dozen 8 where okay, the other 4 I never could get to spin true.. and if you hit anything a little hard.. they would split at the end..I lost 6 arrows to splitting at the nock. It took about a year to do it.. but it was frustrating.. I’ve never had any other arrows do that.. maybe I got a bad batch.. idk, but no more for me.. I hope yours do well.

#14 ·
I install a lightweight carbon footer inside my X-Impact and Instinct shafts. I cut them About 3” long. Buy them from Goodwinds. They weigh about 15 grains but when combine with the outsert, it makes the arrow shaft nearly indestructible. The shaft is sandwiched between the internal footer and the outsert. Because they are lightweight it doesn’t change my tune much.

I haven’t bought solid carbon rods for other arrow shafts but I bet you can find one in the right diameter for many other shafts.

.156" x 48" Solid Round Carbon

#15 ·
Correction - I use a 2” piece of solid carbon rod. Just weighed one and it is 14 grains. So after I sand down the arrow shaft tip so that the outsert will slide on without too much trouble, I slide the carbon rod inside the shaft with a couple dabs of super glue gel. Then I install the outsert, I lean the shaft pointy end down so the carbon rod stays on that end. I’ll spin it on a shaft straightness spinner to verify it’s good then lean the shaft against the wall for the glue to cure for 5-10 minutes.
For reference, a full length X-Impact 400, with outsert and 2” solid carbon rod footer fletched with 3 - 3” trad vanes weighs right at 300 grains (without field point) and measures 33.0” from nock bed to end of outsert.

Attachments

Reactions: Thorsten
#16 ·
I'm leaning toward it being a .400 spine, but that is based on my set-ups. You never mentioned your draw length (I don't think)

I shoot Easton Axis .204, 375 gr. total point weight at 29.5 inches. 51# at my draw. Those are all different from you but can extrapolate somewhat.

But then there's also your release, your longbows centershot, actual poundage, difference in arrow makers spine measurments... still think it's going to be the .400.

Sorry no experience with those particular shafts.

#19 ·
Has anyone compared the Vintage to the Instinct? I like the fact that they come in 34” full length, which can help decrease gaps. I’ve got some 350 Instincts but with the 100 grain outsert they end up nearly 600-700 grains. I’m thinking the Vintage might come in closer to 500 grains for a flatter shooting shaft with better gaps because of the 34” length.

#20 ·
Instinct is a .165 shaft and the vintages is a .245 shaft. Both are excellent. The instinct arrow with the Focos system is amazing if you lock tite the little screw in. The vintage shaft is a standard shaft while the instinct is a micro shaft. I do not personally like an instinct with just an outsert, I like a post inside and and a collar around the outside like the focos system offers.

Both are extremely durable shafts. I like black arrows that’s why I would choose the deep impacts or would choose the outlaws.

I have honestly become biased with micro shafts, they are quieter and even shooting the same arrow weight with the micro vs standard out of the same bow the micro penetrates my foam target more, so this is just something I personally like.

I have some shafts here that have been cut down to like 30.5” and maybe a few longer in the vintages I would be glad to send you for free if you pay the shipping, however they may not be long enough for you. Having the option to have a 34” arrow for us longer draw guys is super nice. I personally need a 31” arrow or longer to be safe from my broad heads with my close to 30” draw. I like the focos system on the 32” deep impacts or gives me almost another inch to play with.

#22 ·
religion aside - I'm on my third iteration of the Renegade (three sets) currently I have some 350's at 30" tuned for a 50# Morison Max 6 with 150gr up front - they fly great. I have split the shaft with nock end hits but that has improved with different nocks (gt accu-tough). I have bent a half out but I did hit a granite boulder . . . all in all I would buy again. Currently I tuned some trad only bare shafts for a new bow but mostly because I had a discount code to use and they are a couple grains heavier. I'm still using the BE half outs because I have the components to add weight - you just have to take time to tune the orientation of the half out on a spinner - overall I would not hesitate to buy Renegades.

#23 ·
This thread has been cleaned up. No idea what happened to the old rules page after the forum software upgrade, but politics and religion are off-limits here. Having said that, I don't see any issue with Bent_Limb's comment about BE as I found it to be fairly innocuous and probably informational for some. If it was a whole post or thread about that topic then that would be a totally different issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.