Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about switching arrows, I’ve been shooting beman centershots and they are great arrows, but they are discontinued and becoming less available.. yes I know, there are several place that still have them, but lots of them are seconds and I’m ready to switch.

I’ve been looking at Black eagle Renegades.
they are relatively cheap, .204 arrow, 32.5” shafts. Not sold on the half-out insert.

I’ve had their Vintage 5/16” shaft, which were great. I’ve also had the Instinct shaft, which I thought where less than good.

Anybody have experience with the Renegade model?

·
Spearhead
3,411 Posts
Jordan, Not the renegade but I am liking the black Eagle intrepid arrow, cheaper alternative to victory vap’s.
when I say cheaper it’s in cost, quality has been excellent. Very pleased with their quality of a low cost shaft imagine it would be even better with a higher cost shaft.
let me look I might have some shafts, don’t remember if they are rampage or renegade shafts

Chad

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have used their deep impact shafts for 3 years or so...same dozen, have lost a few but not broken a single one. I'm impressed! These have outserts and I like them overall but I have bent the outserts. If they were inserts the shaft would have split instead. New outsert and back in business. I agree with your apprehension about the halfoutserts. That just gives the point more leverage to split your shaft imo. I have turned some outserts for my deep impacts do they have a 5 degree taper instead of screw in...makes a bombproof hunting shaft.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that’s what I after.. bomb proof.. another reason is I got a good deal on a group of 250g cutthroats, and they are a little heavier than what I used to.. so looking to get a lighter GPI shaft to offset the new heavier heads I’m wanting to use. I’m not a huge FOC fan, but I’m gonna have some descent FOC arrows.. that’s for sure.. they are gonna be for a new long bow I’m getting.. JT traditions apollo2. I’m still thinking a 400 shaft maybe cut to 30 may work.. but with 300 total up front my be in 340 spine?? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
JORDAN, I've posted this before, it's rough but a decent guideline, I got it from HANK on here.....he's the math man.
Hope it helps. posits what spine a basic .400 becomes at various lengths....etc. I hope it helps.
Calculated
Length 28 29 30 31 32
Spine 400 444 492 543 597
Spine 500 556 615 679 746
Spine 600 667 738 814 896

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Kentucky The outlaw shafts are also reasonably priced.I am shooting 700 spine right now.They are standard diameter,come with nock and insert.The 400s are 8.1gpi,the 500s 7.4 gpi.Inner Diameter is .2445

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can you indicated what you didn't like about the Instinct shafts? I just took the plunge on a test kit :sick:and I am in the process of bare shafting.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you indicated what you didn't like about the Instinct shafts? I just took the plunge on a test kit :sick:and I am in the process of bare shafting.
That outsert was a pain..out of a dozen 8 where okay, the other 4 I never could get to spin true.. and if you hit anything a little hard.. they would split at the end..I lost 6 arrows to splitting at the nock. It took about a year to do it.. but it was frustrating.. I’ve never had any other arrows do that.. maybe I got a bad batch.. idk, but no more for me.. I hope yours do well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kentucky The outlaw shafts are also reasonably priced.I am shooting 700 spine right now.They are standard diameter,come with nock and insert.The 400s are 8.1gpi,the 500s 7.4 gpi.Inner Diameter is .2445
Yeah I was looking at those as well..I was leaning towards a .204 shaft… for no other reason than besides I’ve never had any.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JORDAN, I've posted this before, it's rough but a decent guideline, I got it from HANK on here.....he's the math man.
Hope it helps. posits what spine a basic .400 becomes at various lengths....etc. I hope it helps.
Calculated
Length 28 29 30 31 32
Spine 400 444 492 543 597
Spine 500 556 615 679 746
Spine 600 667 738 814 896
This is good info.. so a 300 spine would be 332ish,366ish,406ish,446ish?? Somewhere in the.. that’s close to the exponential patterns the others show.. but of course that is static spine..

It’s gonna be a 400 or a 340 spine.. I know that much.. I’d just like to end up with a 575g 30-31” arrow.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That outsert was a pain..out of a dozen 8 where okay, the other 4 I never could get to spin true.. and if you hit anything a little hard.. they would split at the end..I lost 6 arrows to splitting at the nock. It took about a year to do it.. but it was frustrating.. I’ve never had any other arrows do that.. maybe I got a bad batch.. idk, but no more for me.. I hope yours do well.
Thanks for the heads up. I will probably go ahead since I put the time in bare shafting and get a fletched 1/2 dozen and put them through the ringer. This is my first foray into the skinny arrow world. Not sure yet if it's for me.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I install a lightweight carbon footer inside my X-Impact and Instinct shafts. I cut them About 3” long. Buy them from Goodwinds. They weigh about 15 grains but when combine with the outsert, it makes the arrow shaft nearly indestructible. The shaft is sandwiched between the internal footer and the outsert. Because they are lightweight it doesn’t change my tune much.

I haven’t bought solid carbon rods for other arrow shafts but I bet you can find one in the right diameter for many other shafts.

.156" x 48" Solid Round Carbon

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Correction - I use a 2” piece of solid carbon rod. Just weighed one and it is 14 grains. So after I sand down the arrow shaft tip so that the outsert will slide on without too much trouble, I slide the carbon rod inside the shaft with a couple dabs of super glue gel. Then I install the outsert, I lean the shaft pointy end down so the carbon rod stays on that end. I’ll spin it on a shaft straightness spinner to verify it’s good then lean the shaft against the wall for the glue to cure for 5-10 minutes.
For reference, a full length X-Impact 400, with outsert and 2” solid carbon rod footer fletched with 3 - 3” trad vanes weighs right at 300 grains (without field point) and measures 33.0” from nock bed to end of outsert.

Attachments

Reactions: Thorsten

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm leaning toward it being a .400 spine, but that is based on my set-ups. You never mentioned your draw length (I don't think)

I shoot Easton Axis .204, 375 gr. total point weight at 29.5 inches. 51# at my draw. Those are all different from you but can extrapolate somewhat.

But then there's also your release, your longbows centershot, actual poundage, difference in arrow makers spine measurments... still think it's going to be the .400.

Sorry no experience with those particular shafts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love Black Eagle arrows. I’ve shot so many different type of arrows and for the money I believe Black Eagle arrows are some of the tightest tolerances as far as spine, and straightness is concerned. I have shot vintages which is a bullet proof shaft, I have currently been shooting the black eagle deep impacts with the 80 grain focos system. These have been super tough. We done a very unique test this past winter with a bunch of .204 shafts .165 shafts and .245 shafts. We shot these shafts into concrete, wood, and Steele. I shoot the arrow selection I shoot because of this text. I will say the rampage shaft in the .204 with the factory half out withstood more torture with less damage then the easton axis with the hit and the Sirius Apollo with the ethics component. I was blown away at this. However I was amazed at the design and engineering behind the focos system and the crease made in the actual collar that will absorb shock and can be replaced without damaging the shaft. The deep impact with the focos was the only .165 carbon shaft that did not have any damage to the actual carbon shaft it’s self. Nothing scientific about this but if an arrow can withstand plate steel, concrete, and wood it’s plenty good enough for me to shoot at any critter living. Black Eagle told me the Rampage is the toughest shaft they make, followed by the vintage, outlaw, and deep impact.

I am impressed with them, I am about to test some outlaws out as I like the simplicity of a standard shaft. I just personally find I get a micro to tune easier and better for me.

I don’t know nothing about the arrow you asked about but as far as Black Eagle arrows in general I am very impressed with them.

I don’t put a 200.00 scope on a 2500.00 rifle. I don’t shoot junk ammo out of that rifle either.

I work hard and hunting and shooting is my only hobby. So to me the animal I am hunting deserves the best I can afford, I want something that I can count on, in the end it’s all about what we have confidence in. There is so many great options and any arrow with do the trick if it is times and placed in the right spot. I like also that Black Eagle Arrows stands up for the gospel and is not afraid to promote Jesus Christ!

·
Registered
158 Posts
By the want a vintage is a outlaw that has a wood grain coating on it.

a instinct is a deep impacts that has a wood grain coating on it.

I have heard I believe Randy at Black Eagle say this coating isn’t just for looks it actually makes the arrow tougher.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Has anyone compared the Vintage to the Instinct? I like the fact that they come in 34” full length, which can help decrease gaps. I’ve got some 350 Instincts but with the 100 grain outsert they end up nearly 600-700 grains. I’m thinking the Vintage might come in closer to 500 grains for a flatter shooting shaft with better gaps because of the 34” length.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyone compared the Vintage to the Instinct? I like the fact that they come in 34” full length, which can help decrease gaps. I’ve got some 350 Instincts but with the 100 grain outsert they end up nearly 600-700 grains. I’m thinking the Vintage might come in closer to 500 grains for a flatter shooting shaft with better gaps because of the 34” length.
Instinct is a .165 shaft and the vintages is a .245 shaft. Both are excellent. The instinct arrow with the Focos system is amazing if you lock tite the little screw in. The vintage shaft is a standard shaft while the instinct is a micro shaft. I do not personally like an instinct with just an outsert, I like a post inside and and a collar around the outside like the focos system offers.

Both are extremely durable shafts. I like black arrows that’s why I would choose the deep impacts or would choose the outlaws.

I have honestly become biased with micro shafts, they are quieter and even shooting the same arrow weight with the micro vs standard out of the same bow the micro penetrates my foam target more, so this is just something I personally like.

I have some shafts here that have been cut down to like 30.5” and maybe a few longer in the vintages I would be glad to send you for free if you pay the shipping, however they may not be long enough for you. Having the option to have a 34” arrow for us longer draw guys is super nice. I personally need a 31” arrow or longer to be safe from my broad heads with my close to 30” draw. I like the focos system on the 32” deep impacts or gives me almost another inch to play with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts