Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cat is an anagram for TAC. I picked this TAC Firefly from Raysad (thanks). I put a pair of Dryad's ACS RC 32# 19" on the riser (19"). Who, would have thought it, they are exactly 32#.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These arrows are carbon one 660 29" bop. With 80gr points I was aiming at the black area between the top and center dot. I'd say they were stiff but grouped very well.

I really enjoy the discussion that Sid starts but I have long ago, given up trying to, figure out what makes a bow shoot well for me. So I have no, idea why the Firefly and I get along so well??? I can say for sure I did not get along with the fellow that made it :).

None the less credit where it is due. It and the ACS RC shoot up a storm for me even with arrows 7" too stiff

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I,was not using the sight that Raysad left on it for me it for me. I was index in Conner of mouth with 1&1/8" crawl. Limbs and riser behaved very well even though a bit short (62") for what we would usually string walk.

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
Nice outfit Rusty, if I did not already have a 19" riser, I'd be looking for another one of those.

Reactions: rusty craine

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I don't have a clue why but it is a dandy hunting riser. I was shooting off the shelf that Raysad put on. Not the best idea for string walking accuracy, but it shot a good group. I got some VAP 600s that I am going to tune up.for small pigs.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A sight on a bare bow hunt'n bow? yes, in Texas (Texas. I luv u) we can hunting at night over a corn feeder legally. You can decide for your self how sporting that is. Over your feeder it is best to hang an LED feeder light. now this does not really put out enough light to aim your arrow but if you paint your SRF sight ring white you can put your spot right in the center. This is a shot from 15 yards out and 8 feet high shot with the sight on the bow. While it is not a 10, it is lethal. This was shot with 36# omf bamboo glass long bow limbs. They are my favorite longbow limbs and the Firefly lights them up

Low light hunting = DAS SRF sight

Edit... that is hunting for feral hogs....not game animals

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Rusty,

Glad the riser got there in one piece. Grips are a very personal thing but I am curious how you are getting along with that custom wedge. Can you feel how the 10 degree side angle grabs onto the lifeline? It is the same shape I make for my Max and then covered with Carbon fiber. The Carbon added about 1/8th" to the total width.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Chad,
I almost PM you suggesting a trade for your Cobra not knowing you were even thinking of selling it. The reason I didn't is that the Cobra is 21" and I have always wanted a Mamba which is 19". Now I know that Rusty has a Mamba but he never sells, which is fine, and I am happy that he will be shooting the TAC.

Rasyad

Reactions: Coodster

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raysad, I never even think about the grip. That is the highest complement I can pay it. With 36# bamboo/glass long bow limbs it shot my hunt BH right down the line. The elevation had changed a bit, I think that has to, do with shooting them off the shelve vs a springy rest.

I have no plans to change the grip expect maybe a layer of Wilson racket tape.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
rusty.... where does the throat of the grip sit relative to the centreline of the riser....
It might have a grip in a position you are used to. Grip high in the riser might make you wriggle in the grip.
while too low. And you might be trying to get up into the throat.
FOR YOUR style of shooting.
Not everyone is the same.
Longbow archers quite often struggle with recurve grips. For example.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Thanks Rusty great feedback. Your D.Merrill string is in the mail. Sat delivery.

Rasyad

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rusty.... where does the throat of the grip sit relative to the centreline of the riser....
It might have a grip in a position you are used to. Grip high in the riser might make you wriggle in the grip.
while too low. And you might be trying to get up into the throat.
FOR YOUR style of shooting.
Not everyone is the same.
Longbow archers quite often struggle with recurve grips. For example.
Sid, I think I get a slight vector up from the springy rest compressing. So All my crawls are set compensating for the spring. lf the vector is different from a stout flipper for example the crawl changes. On most target weight bows I use a 25# spring. Shooting from a hard rest usually opens my group up a bit. String walking is black magic off a floppy sprig. :sbrug:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.