Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot three under and over the years, and just recently, have tried to shoot a Tab and I just dont get the results I do with a glove. I shoot a Ilf recurve at 44# and shoot quite alot of 3D. Ive been trying a batmen for weeks and just cant get it to work, my groups and "placement" of those groups wander all over the target from each "end" of shooting the bale. I also have a Elite tab and a widow.
Ive always heard a tab is "better" and if your serious its the way to go, and I really would like to make the switch but after pounding the target for a week with less than good results im not so sure? any sugestions.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I say you tried it and you find it's not for you. Stick with what works. Making changes because others say it's the way to go, even when it contradicts your own success doesn't make sense.

Most likely you would eventually adapt, but why fix something that isn't broken?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Most likely the problems with the tab are do to where you are anchoring on your face. The tab is thinner then a glove and gets you closer to your face. If you are happy with your shooting and your arrows hit where you are looking stay with the glove.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I switched to 3 under, and to a Bateman tab at the same time. Though both have resulted in a large improvement for me I think the majority of it was due to going from split, to three under. It did not take more than 3 shooting sessions for me to prefer the tab ( though it did take several weeks for the results to show on target) but if you gave it a real try and still prefer a glove...why fight it?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I shoot three under and over the years, and just recently, have tried to shoot a Tab and I just dont get the results I do with a glove. I shoot a Ilf recurve at 44# and shoot quite alot of 3D. Ive been trying a batmen for weeks and just cant get it to work, my groups and "placement" of those groups wander all over the target from each "end" of shooting the bale. I also have a Elite tab and a widow.

Ive always heard a tab is "better" and if your serious its the way to go, and I really would like to make the switch but after pounding the target for a week with less than good results im not so sure? any sugestions.
I made my own glove and tab. I can shoot both but I prefer the glove.
View attachment 26259
DDD

·
Registered
158 Posts
Shoot 3 under also and I had same issue. I shoot much better with the Glove then the Tab. I just dont feel confident with the tab. I like the Fact also I can throw the glove on and its there always. No need to worry about it flopping around or getting it lined up for my shot. The Glove just feels so much more natural to me. So Im sticking with the glove. Good post too man I was going through the same thing but came up in my own mind that if Im comfortable with the glove and Im shooting great with it why fix what isnt broke. Thats my 2 cents which isnt much.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
DDD, that's pretty good. Never thought about making a glove.

kudu, I started shooting with a glove. I then bought a fancy tab, a cavalier I think it was, but had no joy using it.

Only after joining here I realized you had to trim it to fit. I have been shooting with one for around 3 months now and can say it has helped a great deal.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
A couple of things:

How deep is your hook? Tabs need it nice and deep.

Second, generally any major change needs a few months to settle in for better or worse. Many changes which gave immediate positive results eventually didn't work and vice versa.

-Grant

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I like the feel of a glove but have been considering going back to a tab because it seems that all the folks that "dominate" at shooting targets or 3D use a tab....granted there have been some exceptions. BTW...I use a deep hook. The last couple of times that I tried going back to a Cavalier my arrows were hitting in a different location than with a glove.....and the worst part...or painful part was that with the tab I was hitting my nose and that really got uncomfortable and distracting fast!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
kudu… One size doesn't fit all! Is a tab better? It is IF you're more consistent in it's use.. If not then don't get concerned about it.

There's only one word that matters in archery...CONSISTENCY everything else is personal preference. The "deal" for each of us is to determine what is best for us. This is generally done thru removing the stress of "target" from the examination by use of the bale. Then, once the options of a particular part of the shot are explored, once the best is selected, it should be reenforced from conscious to the subconscious. All the best!

Tom

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
For me, comfort plays a big role in consistency. If I can't shoot comfortably, then no matter how good a tab or glove is, I won't shoot well. I shoot 3-under with a glove and a tab with finger spacer for split-finger.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
For me, comfort plays a big role in consistency. If I can't shoot comfortably, then no matter how good a tab or glove is, I won't shoot well. I shoot 3-under with a glove and a tab with finger spacer for split-finger.
Sure! "It's" about focused concentration… to a "point", or as close to that as we are able… and if uncomfortableness is a distraction then that pinpoint focus is diluted from one small stream of thought to something wider or even more than one; which is not good.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts