Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make leather stuff as a hobby and have been messing with making tabs with regular veg tan with decent results, but I was wondering if there was a better leather for this. cordovan is hard to come by and way too expensive to be worth it. Calf hair doesn't last very long. I was thinking Latigo, but the weights are usually pretty thick and I don't have a splitter. anyone have any pointers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Super leather, like you find on the Black Widow tabs? I don't know if that's any easier to get ahold of than cordovan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd prefer real leather, brother. I'd imagine any thin rubber wouldn't be too hard to source though. I've never used a black widow tab but I'm assuming "super leather" is rubber

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Nothing natural comes close. There are a few synthetics that are decent though. I had some thin polyurethane belt which was amazing. Rubber is not good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure synthetics are superior in one way or another... I'm pretty much set on leather. It's pleasing to my eye, I'm experienced with it, it's what I'll be using. If anyone has any specific leather types they can recommend I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think "super leather" is rubber, but its some kind of synthetic. Anyway, I don't really know so I should stop talking about it. I think you just want to the slickest leather you can get, hence the reason cordovan is widely considered the best. Maybe you could scrounge an old, worn out pair of cordovan shoes from a thrift store or ebay to cut up and make a tab or two. The vamp of a shoe or upper from a boot is just about the right shape and size. As far as other leather, I have a couple Horween Chromexel watch straps that seem like they would make great tabs (I mean, if they were the right shape). The Chromexel is thick and oily with lots of pullup and good bit of slickness. Having said that, I've never seen anyone offer a Chromexel tab, so maybe its not that great. My last thought - and then I'll shut up because I'm way out of my depth - is that Howard Hill and his disciples like John Shultz were known to dowse their finger stalls with talcum powder to slick them up. I suppose that would work fine on a veg-tanned tab too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I was gonna Cruise on over to Tandy leather this weekend and see if they have anything that's tightly grained, soft and slick in a scrap bag or something

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Asking them does no good because they tried to tell me that Latigo was the same leather as cordovan last time... they were surprised when I told them one is horse and one is cow... some experts at that store eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts