Votes: 11 14.9%
  • 23 or longer

Votes: 7 9.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Sam,

It depends on one's anchor. Low anchor, 19" for me no question.

Rasyad

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Truth be told I really like 21" for the smoothness. 17" is turning out to be borderline short for me and I'm considering/hoping that 19" is a good compromise for a long draw length and overall length for blinds and brush.....

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
"best" or most common among the people who respond to the poll VBG

I like short risers in general but since I traded for the 19" Bernadina Mamba I really found myself using it more and more. but that might just be a matter of "feel" I can imagine that one of my others might be better in a blind, tree stand, or hunting from a canoe. or me the 19 is a compromise length but a really good one. Hopefully if it ever warms up again and my shoulder feels up to it I can try it alongside several other risers a little shorter or a little longer.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to vote "yes". Sam, you mean there really is a best length for hunting risers? Or is this another one of your trick questions? ;)
Best all around length? What do you think generally would be the best length for both hunting and actually serving most of your needs?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I haven't had many bows, but I recently had to pick one and sell one. The 17" Titan has been sold and the 19" Hoyt buffalo is always ready to go when I am. :D I don't really have any complaints with the 17", just enjoy shooting the buff more. I even shot the Titan with a rest/plunger for awhile and the buff still outshines it in the end. I'm currently looking for another set of uukha medium limbs to dedicate to the buff, since it has shorts on it now and they don't agree with my almost 30" draw.

·
Spearhead
3,335 Posts
Sam as you know archery is such a personal sport.
I like a 23" riser for most of my hunting.
But I'm not an average hunter so to speak, spot and stalk is 98% of how I hunt.
Blinds I can understand shorter bows.

Now 23" with shorts gets me 64" and is what I strive for. This also puts me in a bind, I can't go shorter than short limbs and 64"

So a 21 may be optimum and more versatile but at the moment I don't have medium limbs.
62" is a tad short for me personally but doable.

Chad

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
I voted 19" because of my QUINN Warf and longbow limbs......64" machine.
also.....there will be times I'll hunt with my 17" Dalaa set up with the short limbs.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see the short 17 and 19 running pretty close?

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
SO damn much depends on the extremely personal variables than subjectively define "feel" .

I can take 2 different risers of the same length and one might as well be a fist full of broken beer bottle and the other a greased mink-lined glove.
Some 20/21s might feel better than some 19's and so might be some shorter ones.
The perceived weight and balance distribution are a big part of it.
Sight window length and how that impacts your bow use/style are another.

A dedicated hunting bow CAN be a lot shorter if you have good limbs, fairly flat point of aim trajectory, and you are hunting at pointblank to maybe 30 yard ranges (which covers much of eastern deer hunting). Even your field skills as a bow hunter can impact your normal shooting range---influencing sight window height needs and the overall riser length.

I'm just saying that a hellova lot of factors are involved beyond "I like a riser x-number of inches long"

·
Premium Member
12,099 Posts
Wayne, all due respect here, you're still going to have you favorite hunting lengths.
I lean to 17 & 19 inch risers.
I had one 13"er, and one 15"er, didn't care so much for them.
There might be one magic 13 & 15 out there that did not make it to my place.
I like 21inch risers; one of my favorites is the RAMBO, but not much for hunting. FOR ME, I mean.
I have had several 17" & 19" risers, and for me, that's a great fit, for hunting.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
17" is my all around favorite riser length for a recurve, but I really like my Dryad 13" Epic.

On closer examination of my Buffalo riser, even though it is listed as 19", the limb bolts pretty much line up with my RCX17 limb bolts, making my think it really it a 17" riser, but has a longer overall length due to the longer limb pads for the Formula system. That and the sight window is about the same size.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Hey Sam,

Yep sight window. I have had or shot bows of all lengths. Since moving my anchor to the South Pole 13" + 15" risers are impossible as the top of the window is in the middle of my view. If I had a side of the cheek anchor then these short risers would perfectly frame a "shotgun" sight picture right down the arrow shaft.

A 19" riser gives me a wide open feel either string walking or with a sight. The other benefit is the ability to shoot shorter limbs and gain a couple FPS over longer limbs.

Rasyad

·
Registered
146 Posts
J-San, I would think you have to measure to the center hole on your formula limbs. Where a normal ilf limb would be bolted down. I was able to get the borders to work with the 21" Hoyt Tiburon by using the uukha formula adapters. Still seems to come out as 66" bow with the longs. Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts