Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Matt any chance of seeing the limb pockets on that riser.. I have a dorado sitting around doing nothing and that looks interesting.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I heard a story here and not sure who told it but the guy was using a Hoyt 25 inch riser in a bright factory color and white limbs every year to kill Mule deer. They said he killed one every year,,lol:sbrug:

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
i have been using a longbow since 1961. carried a short recurve kids bow when i was killing bark peeler bears for lumber companies.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm a recurve shooter, always have been, always will be.
First hunting bow was a Ben Pearson Jet,,,recurve.
First "real" hunting bow was a Ben Pearson Hunter,,,recurve.
Most successful hunting bow was a Martin Mamba,,recurve.
Next was a Hoyt Dorado TT combination,,,recurve.
Latest is a Titan that will end up with Uukha limbs once I get back up to pace,,,recurve
Seeing a pattern yet ?

I have played with and intend to play with many more, longbows and compounds.

But I'm really a recurve shooter.
John.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I heard a story here and not sure who told it but the guy was using a Hoyt 25 inch riser in a bright factory color and white limbs every year to kill Mule deer. They said he killed one every year,,lol:sbrug:
I can dig that, those Hoyts are pretty accurate bows.

8^)
John.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
All my hunting bows are good ol friends! There's the Fedora TD, the Schafer Silvertip, my DAS and Dalahs, Morrison TD…etc,etc. And I've got good hunting stories that go along with each one of em!

Tom

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
This fall will find a new bow in my hand. Since the end of last season I've picked up a one-piece Blacktail recurve and a one-piece Silvertip recurve. So far I like them both and couldn't say at this point which will be my favorite by September. So far I can pick up either one and shoot well so I might not have to choose, just grab the one I'm in the mood for and head out the door.

The last few years I have been hunting with this take-down Blacktail recurve with a Kanati limb bolt mount bow quiver:

This fall I will be carrying my arrows in a Cedar Ridge side quiver and will be shooting either this one-piece Blacktail:

or this one-piece Silvertip:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again... for hunting [as of now] I use and will continue to use my recurve,
because I am more accurate with that bow than with a LB BUT
if I ever feel confident enough to one day use the LB on a hunt--- I will!

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
I like a 17" aluminum riser (currently Dalaa) and our XL ACS-RC limbs. It's 64" long and 51 pounds at my 30 1/2" draw. I love longbows but shoot recurves better, so it's recurve in the woods.

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
My thoughts.... compare the force/draw curves.

Tom is hung up behind a juniper. I have put traction on my string. He steps out. I come to half draw. I need one more step.

ACS LB limbs force/draw curve match this situation much better for me. May not work for you but does for me.

3D shooting. That target is not going to move. The flat force/draw thru the clicker area is perfect from the recurve limbs. When hunting, MOST of the time when I hit full draw I want the arrow on it's way PDQ. The more linear f/d curve of the LB gives me the urgent feel at the back of the draw. Gets the arrow off my fingers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts