Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Hoyt satori, my first metal riser. I started string walking so that's the main reason I got a metal riser for the tuning options. What's the best elevated hunting rest? I have always shot a black widow or bob lee off the shelf. I shot the satori off the shelf and it shoots really good but seems like all stringwalkers shoot a elevated rest.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
411 Posts
My favorite elevated rest is an old star hunter with the side plate removed and replaced with a bolt for a strike plate. Cover the bottom paddle with electrical heat shrink and you have a quiet, water proof setup that you can shoot feathers or vanes off of. Putting your arrow on an elevated rest will decrease the distance you need to crawl from the nock to obtain a 20-25 yard point on.

You might need to search the old pro shops to find that rest but they all have some under the counter....I bought one still in the pack this year for $10.00.....just as accurate as any high dollar magnetic rest with an additional high dollar plunger and way mor quiet and durable.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
A Springy rest would be great and it would be hard to beat an NAP Centerest. The Centerest Flipper may be very good too, but I don't know how it would hold up to string walking over time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A Springy rest would be great and it would be hard to beat an NAP Centerest. The Centerest Flipper may be very good too, but I don't know how it would hold up to string walking over time.
I agree with Jim. I have used both the NAP centerrest and the Springy. Both bullet proof , reliable rests. I get shorter crawls with the Springy which is why I have Springys on all my hunting bows now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas. The NAP is not very expensive. Only around $28 at Lancaster. I think the springy style rest like that would be best for string walking to lower the crawl distance.

·
Spearhead
3,511 Posts
Springy, for string walking and hunting it's the most durable rest, simple to boot.
Now throw target in and it still stands as a great rest.
Only rest I would change out for my springy would be a spigarelli super rest and a beiter plunger.

Only issue people have with the springy rest is getting it quiet. That has been covered and lots of tips for it

Chad

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The simplest one that will work. Like a Bear Weather rest. Keep a spare in your pocket. If your not using a plunger you can trim the bottom of the rest to bring it closer to the shelf. The springy is a very good rest, rugged and reliable but can be noisy when drawing the arrow back. I have a springy on my ILF bow, I used a tube from WD-40 can to cover the spring. It lasts much longer than the factory originals. Not familiar with the other rests mentioned. My personal preference is the old "brush" rest. Simple, cheap, reliable. I have even drilled one out so I could use a plunger.

·
Registered
720 Posts
For a non-walker, I'd say a NAP Centerest would be hard to beat, easy to cover all surfaces in felt and it isn't going to pop off at a bad time. SW'ers favor a rest with give, as walking exerts some downward force. The consensus is Springy, but I'd cover the exposed wire in heat-shrink to minimize any hiss from a coarse surface shaft...you don't notice it until "they" notice it.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I use the NAP and used the flipper for years, but I'd like to try the springy since it's so highly recommended here.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my Warf I prefer either a Hoyt Hunter rest or Bear Weather rest, they just seem to be the perfect thickness for Black Bear/Black Panther risers. For risers that are cut a little further past center like my Hoyt Excel, the Center Rest and Center Rest Flipper are hard to beat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts